lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
mwaldenm
Not Yet Wild

Default 36 volt Charger / Explain amperage

I have a 36 volt 21 amp Lester charger (model 13800 for my Club Car). The charger is not working and the local dealer/service company I took it to wanted $400 to replace this old charger. While looking at chargers on-line I have seen much more economical chargers but with much less amperage.
Please share pro's or con's regarding use of a 36 volt (5, 6, 8, 12, 18 amp) vs. using a 36 volt 21amp.

Is it just a matter of charging time that fluctuates with the amount of amps available?

Would I be able to get one cheaper (with less amps) and still be happy with it?
mwaldenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2014, 07:17 AM   #2
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

Default Re: 36 volt Charger / Explain amperage

Give George at Lester Technical Support a call, 1 402 441 3720 ext. 273 direct. George can help you troubleshoot and then sell a new charger from them for half the price. Did the local place tell you what was wrong with yours? I have an old Accu-Power at home for parts (timer board is bad), but I had called Lester and did some troubleshooting with George. In the end my timerboard was bad and ended up buying a new charger for $250ish.

The higher the amperage the faster the charge, but these chargers start high and lower themselves as the charge progresses. So a 21A charger will start charging at 21A initially and then start to tail off to 5A as the charge cycle progresses.
MudHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Deep cycle wet cell batteries have very specific charging needs. They require a specific pattern or algorithm of amperage input to properly recharge and maintain their useful life.
A good rule of thumb is to use a charger that can supply 10% of the AH rating during the initial or bulk replenishing phase.
The low amperage chargers are not for use with golf cart batteries.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
mwaldenm
Not Yet Wild

OK. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #5
mwaldenm
Not Yet Wild

Thanks MudHog. I'll give George a call. The place I took it to said that it was the "controller" & the "resistor". After looking at the schematics of my charger the parts that could go bad are the capacitor, diode, relay, timer panel, transformer or fuse. Asked for a clarification of controller or resistor last week & have not heard back from them. They got their hour labor charge out of me.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

George can step you through the troubleshooting steps. He will check the relay and then check the timer. You will need a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) to do the troubleshooting. He is a little difficult to get ahold of, but keep trying him over leaving a voicemail. He gets many calls and has little time to check his voicemail.
MudHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car