lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Default Steering problems after 6" lift and extension plate

My 01 Club Car is having problems steering after I installed a 6" lift kit and 2" extension plate from LA Concepts. Problems include:
1. The steering is extremely tight, I checked the torque on all the bolts, greased the front end and it still feels like a car with power steering but the engine off.
2. The steering to the right is limited due to the 2" extension plate I have installed in addition to the lift which moves the front end forward. You have to flip the control arms over and so now the shock mounts on the opposite side. The spindle steering bracket now hits the shock nut limiting the steering towards the right. Is this normal?
3. Tie rod is so close to the frame rails it was bending the rod before I added the spacers.

Here are a few pictures of the front end. Does anybody know why it is like this?

Good range of steering to the left.

Horrible steering to the right.

Close tie rod rubs on frame.

Added spacers to prevent the rod from bending over the frame when nobody was in the cart.

Spindle steering bracket hitting the lower shock mount when turned to the right.

No apparent bends in the factory suspension components that I can see that would cause these wacky problems.

Frame looks perfectly straight.
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2008, 12:24 AM   #2
chevyrules05
A-DMIN

Club Car

Default Re: Steering problems after 6" lift and extension plate

I have that same problem and I am switching to a jakes lift
chevyrules05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
Cuz
Gone Wild

I had a few of the same problems and have the exact same set-up.

1. You should have enough meat on the end of your "steering spindle bracket" to grind some of the end off so it clears your shock.
2. Instead of welding a spacer on the arm for more tie-rod to frame clearence, I used a die grinder with cut-off wheel and cut a deep notch and then bend the arm up and then re-welded it (see below picture). I only did this to one side and it gave me enough clearance and didnt effect my steering at all.
3. I have no idea why your steering is so tight.

Cuz
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

i simply cut those bolts off from my a arms. I have been going to make a bracket to bolt to top of arm and put the shock back to its original position in the tower, but I have really not noticed any differance in the ride without shocks. I don't have them in the rear either

I had never thought of bending one of the arms up. I might have to give that a try. guess that is what i get for getting a cheap lift

mine only hit when i jack up cart on center fo frame. during normal stance it is ok.

I would say if you get it going so it doesn't hit anything when it turns, your steering box is offcenter. I know that mine is after the lift(been too lazy to fix this) It is probably as simple as adjusting the tie rod tha comes from the rack.

I have no idea why it is tight!

-Aaron
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

i just looked at your pictures again. I was comparing them to mine. you forgot to put in the spacers on the arms. must be because of the (lack of )excellent instructions they came with!

i ended up taking out the spacers under the tie rods as they made the boots split

I need to take pictures of my non lifted cart. it has shocks and original steering components.

-Aaron
Old 10-24-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

ok since I was feeling energetic tonight i went out and yanked the wheel off of the non lifted cart. here is a picture of the plate set up with a shock on it

you can also notice how it slightly rubs the inner part of the body

-Aaron
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts