lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #1
wildride
Not Yet Wild

Default 1991 par car coils going bad

hi I have a 91 par car I have put many new parts on ,fuelpump, rebuilt carb, ign.module, ign. switch, plug, coil , rotor I get it to run great then next time I go to use it it shuts off o yeah new can and piston it now seams my new coil went bad again. I used the coil for electronic ign. when I turn the key on in either pos. the engine starts to crank by itself. I checked the wire at the coil it gets power with the gas pedal so I don't think its the micro switch. I get one spark out of the plug when I first step on the gas then nothing my grounds seem to be good any thoughts would be appreciated. getting tired of dumping money in it altho soon everything will be new lol thanks guy
wildride is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #2
gdoginc
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1991 par car coils going bad

I have the exact same problem on an 87 par car. I see no answers. Can anyone figure it out?
gdoginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

check the start solenoid for sticking and voltage where the micro switch connects.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:22 PM   #4
gdoginc
Not Yet Wild

What should the voltage be? 12V?
Old 07-14-2015, 05:57 PM   #5
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

yes!
Old 07-16-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
Lochlin
Gone Wild

To be clear, are you saying that your engine turns over when you turn the switch on even though you aren't stepping on the accelerator? If that's the case you have a wiring issue somewhere (obviously) or your microswitch is stuck closed. IE, the cart always thinks the accelerator is depressed even though it isn't. When I am doing mechanical work on my carts I jump the microswitch so the cart will start with key switch. It wouldn't be much fun to run it that way though.

I would try to rectify that issue first before I started working on that spark issue.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:22 AM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I should have added, there should be a service manual for your cart located here:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/columbia-parcars/

That manual will contain a wiring diagram. You may want to take some time to check your wiring out. Given all the backyard mechanics who work on these over the years it's pretty easy for the wiring to get screwed up.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:41 PM   #8
gdoginc
Not Yet Wild

My ignition switch works as it should. Nothing happens until I step on the gas. When I step on the gas it makes 1 or 2 sparks and then no spark. If I hold the gas down there is no spark. It sparks again when I let the gas pedal all the way back. It seems to only have spark when you first step on the gas pedal and let off the gas pedal at the end. I tried a new ignition module and then I have absolutely no spark at all. I tried a new coil and that makes no difference. I checked the voltage at the coil when it is turning over and I have about 9.5 volts. If I run a jumper wire from the battery to the coil it still won't start and I have no spark at all. Any thoughts?
Old 07-28-2015, 06:45 PM   #9
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

when you hit the gas pedal you should have 12v or so at the + of the coil and to the ignition module the other terminal of the module should go to the - of the coil. Check the voltage on the + terminal of the coil (which has a wire to the coil) and it should be battery voltage. With the meter across the coil you should have pulses while cranking. More input please.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:28 PM   #10
gdoginc
Not Yet Wild

I rechecked the voltage again with the voltmeter + connected to the + side of the coil and the - connected to the - side of the coil. With the key just on I have no voltage. When I step on the gas I only have 8.4 volts and it stays at that even as it is turning offer. It doesn't pulse at all. My spark meter shows 1 or 2 sparks when I fist step on the gas and then nothing.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar