lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2014, 07:02 AM   #1
zrtman
Not Yet Wild

Default What to look for in a used cart

Hey everyone - newbie here from North Carolina - nice site/forums!

Joined the forums because I need to get my father inlaw a cart. He has bad knees and needs something to get around his neighborhood. In our area everything seems to be EZ-GO or Club car electric carts.

Any brands or models better than others? 36 or 48 volt? We are looking at older carts (4-wheel '80s and '90s era). Sometimes I even find carts cosmetically good but missing batteries and unable to test drive.

I am very mechanically inclined... I just don't want to think I got a great deal on a non running cart for $400 only to find out it will take $1000+ to get it reliable (when I could have bought a reliable cart to start with for $1200).

Sorry if this is a vague question or if it is not in the correct forum...
zrtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2014, 07:33 AM   #2
KillerCC
Call me Rich

Club Car

Default Re: What to look for in a used cart

If you dont have any plans of modifying the cart (ie. Lifting, off roading or racing) then either brand is good. Batteries are everything! Id rather buy a cart with no or dead batteries so I can put new ones in. Expect to pay anywhere from $600-900 for them and replace cables if needed. If no batteries are in it than core charges are gonna run ya about $90. Hope this helps.
KillerCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:36 AM   #3
jra007
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrtman View Post
Hey everyone - newbie here from North Carolina - nice site/forums!

Joined the forums because I need to get my father inlaw a cart. He has bad knees and needs something to get around his neighborhood. In our area everything seems to be EZ-GO or Club car electric carts.

Any brands or models better than others? 36 or 48 volt? We are looking at older carts (4-wheel '80s and '90s era). Sometimes I even find carts cosmetically good but missing batteries and unable to test drive.

I am very mechanically inclined... I just don't want to think I got a great deal on a non running cart for $400 only to find out it will take $1000+ to get it reliable (when I could have bought a reliable cart to start with for $1200).

Sorry if this is a vague question or if it is not in the correct forum...
First off something in that price range/age you are most likely going to have to replace the batteries, so plan to spend $600+ after you buy it. I just went through this process, though i wanted something newer (bought a 2009 Precedent) and everything on my cart was solid (just has weak batteries, maybe a year left on them). Id say look for a 48v over 36v... ultimately you will want to choose what body style appeals to you and start there. Carts are surprisingly rugged... though you will want to drive it first if possible. Look out for bent axles, or unevenly worn tires. See if it tracks straight when driving, etc

This site is a great place for research and references...good luck.
jra007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
zrtman
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCC View Post
If you dont have any plans of modifying the cart (ie. Lifting, off roading or racing) then either brand is good. Batteries are everything! Id rather buy a cart with no or dead batteries so I can put new ones in. Expect to pay anywhere from $600-900 for them and replace cables if needed. If no batteries are in it than core charges are gonna run ya about $90. Hope this helps.
Yes - I was thinking if it was a good price without batteries - at least I would have new batteries. Do the motors go bad?

I have no plans to modify a cart for him, but if I bought one for myself to modify - which brands/models are better?
zrtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:53 AM   #5
KillerCC
Call me Rich

Club Car

Motor wise just check for water damage/ rust if you cant drive it. They dont normally go bad, its the other electrical components that do. As far as what brand..... ive only had club cars and ezgos, but im sure yamahas are good too. I would try to stay with something in the 90's or newer. Shouldn't be no problem finding a cart that needs batteries for $500. Just get the seller to commit that cart needs nothing else.
KillerCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
physcoflip
Getting Wild
Club Car

Golf carts very in large amounts depending on where you live so I can not tell you for sure what a cart should cost in yours. Make sure the cart you decide on comes with a charger even if it has bad or missing batteries. Look for cracks in the frame. Look at all the connections for corrosion. Bought my cart off eBay before I new anything and ended up having to replace the frame because some one tried to reenact the golf cart seen from jackass!
physcoflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car