lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
tdump
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default club car battery questions

Ok a friend called with a club car that would not go at all.
I pulled the seat and it has 6 8 volt T 860 battery's.
I checked a couple with a Simpson volt meter and 1 was showing about 6 the other,I had to go to the 2.5 volt scale and switch leads as the polarity had reversed on the battery and it showed about a half volt.
2 others had done the reverse polarity bit.
I could not get the charger to turn on.
I measured the total voltage on the circut and it was about 12.
I think this is why the charger would not come on.I think it needs a bit more than that to trip the relay in it.

So I told her she needed battery's and felt like I did the right thing.She said she would call the folks she bought the cart from and have them bring a set.
She told me she trys to charge it at least once a month.I did not say anything in regards to that because it use is limited to a 2 acre area.
I felt it should be ok.

My questions are,
1, Why and how does a battery reverse it's own polarity while still hooked in series in a circut?
2, Is there anything the person could be doing wrong to cause it? If so I need to tell the lady as she is 80 and uses the cart to get around the yard.
tdump is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: club car battery questions

Batteries should be recharged when they are at 75 –50% of their capacity.
Wet cell batteries lose 1% of their charge per day, so after 30 days she's down to 70% if the card has not been driven. It's easy to see how she could be drawing the pack down to low between recharging. This is considered a deep discharge and it will shorten the number of times the pack can be recharged.
The best thing she could do is to get somebody to put a digital voltmeter on the cart so that she could know exactly when it needs recharging. And in dash digital voltmeter will help her extend the life of her new batteries

PS
Remember to check the water levels once a month.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:41 PM   #3
tdump
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: club car battery questions

Thanks.I will pass that along to her.Someone had mounted the charger in the bagwell and made a nice cover for it.It is hard wired into the cart so all she has to do is plug the cord in.
So I will let her know to charge it more often.It is a automatic charger so it should be ok to do that.

I remembered after I posted this question that I had a 1000 cranking amp battery in my station wagon that reversed it's own polarity when the car sat for a month.
strange.
tdump is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car