lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
LJ12530
Gone Wild

Default DS speed sensor test

I read the sticky. Is the beeping sound sufficient evidence that the speed sensor is working, or must both the sound and braking take place?
LJ12530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: DS speed sensor test

It should do both, beep and brake. The braking is the motor doing the resistance, like it does during regen braking.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
LJ12530
Gone Wild

I gathered from the sticky that it "should" do both. I was wondering if just the beeper sounding was sufficient to know that the sensor was working. The reason for my question is that I was helping a guy figure out why his '03 DS would occasionally slow down unexpectedly. We only pushed it a few feet and the beeper sounded. We didn't play with it to see if it also braked. He was late for his tee time! I won't see the cart again for several days so I was trying to see if I could eliminate the speed sensor just based on the beeping.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Ok, if it is slowing down hit or miss, it is probably a "failing" speed sensor. Sometimes they do that, they don't just quit all at once. When a speed sensor isn't working, the cart goes into limp mode of 8 mph.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
LJ12530
Gone Wild

Default Re: DS speed sensor test//run/tow switch.

Thx.
Could you answer another curiosity?
I read that the run/tow switch disconnects power to the cart electronics. I also know that the OBC controls the charger so it has to have power. What is being protected when the switch is in the tow position?
Old 06-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Motor and controller!!

CartTrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ12530 View Post
Thx.
I read that the run/tow switch disconnects power to the cart electronics. I also know that the OBC controls the charger so it has to have power. What is being protected when the switch is in the tow position?
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Thx.
Yes, CartTrader nailed it, it protects the motor and controller. You can easily blow something if you don't have tow switch in tow and you touch a wire where it's not supposed to be touched...

Last edited by jakesnake27; 06-27-2013 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: CartTrader spelling
Old 06-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
LJ12530
Gone Wild

So.....does the OBC simply control the charger?
Old 06-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
So.....does the OBC simply control the charger?
Yes. It measures how much current was lost during driving and when you plug the charger in, it tells it to give exactly that amount of current back to the pack.
Also the yellow dash light is connected to it and comes on when pack voltage is below 50%.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
LJ12530
Gone Wild

Successful day!
I know more now that I did this morning.....of course I'm discounting anything I forgot during the day!
thx for your help
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car