lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
Bert18
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Removing Cart from charging too quick.

My question is what happens if you take the cart off of the charger before it's done?
The other day I thought I was done for the day and put the cart to charge. Then we needed to run out for something. Because I have new batteries and I'm trying to follow the Batteries Sticky as if it were Gospel, we took my truck instead. Would it have been bad to unplug it and use it? Is this something that if done once in awhile it's OK or what? Normally I only put my cart to charge at the end of the day.
Bert18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Removing Cart from charging too quick.

It is ok to do it on occasion. I do and haven't found any ill effects as yet. I have some batteries that are 7 years old and still hold a decent charge. Not great but decent!!

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

This is a good practice. During a long day of use such a quick charge would be used during a lunch break or such. It is called an 'opportunity charge'. The GC charger always starts in bulk charge mode which is it's highest output. This fast replenishing of amperage is money in the bank for next 18 holes or whatever you are doing. Then just charge as normal when you are done for the day.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Scotty, are you saying doing this is okay anytime or only when necessary? The other day, my son was riding the cart down at the campground. We just put new batteries in it so I want to try and take care of them. I came back to find the cart on the charger and him having a sandwich, but he wanted to go back out on the cart that evening. I told him he had to wait for it to finish now that he had plugged it in. I later relented and let him unplug it and go but told him that would be the last time we did that. Was I wrong on that?

Funny, because the people across from us had a 12 year old girl riding their cart and I sat outside throughout the day and watched her come back and plug it in, sometimes for no longer than 20 minutes, and then go back and unplug it and leave again. I witnessed her doing that at least 4 times in the same day and I was wondering what kind of damage she must be doing to those batteries.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

This is good to know. I often run into the situation where I could plug it up for a couple of hours, but have not done so for fear of damaging the batteries.
nobogez42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobogez42 View Post
This is good to know. I often run into the situation where I could plug it up for a couple of hours, but have not done so for fear of damaging the batteries.
Same here, but I would like it confirmed before I go doing it a lot.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Bill
Getting Wild

I thought You were to try and not do that for the first dozen or so charges when breaking in/equalizing a new battery pack ?
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

I've already been through at least a dozen charge cycles - made sure i did that before ever taking cart to campground.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLifeCC View Post
I've already been through at least a dozen charge cycles - made sure i did that before ever taking cart to campground.
Same here. I am assuming I am past the break in period. I did not count the number of charges but I saw a noticeable difference in the performance of my batteries about 10 charges ago.
nobogez42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
crash test dummy

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car