lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
ddeblance
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Ezgo PDS Wasn't responding to peddle

My ezgo PDS has sat in the garage for 3-4 weeks. Haven't had time to play.
Yesterday I unplugged it and backed out of the garage, flipped the F&R switch and CLICK..... No go.
I pushed the peddle probable a dozen times and nothing but click from the solenoid. Put it in reverse and same. No go forward or reverse.
Then all of a sudden.... away it went. I drove it around the blocks a few times, slowing for turns and stopping a few times. No problem.
I'm going to try it again this afternoon to see if it acts that way again.

Any ideas?
It's going to be in a 4th of July parade so need to make sure it's ok before then.
ddeblance is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Ezgo PDS Wasn't responding to peddle

If the solenoid was clicking, it could be a bad solenoid. Did you try reverse again when forward did not work ? If reverse worked I would thing possibly the controller.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
ddeblance
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, I put it in reverse and nothing, then back in forward and still nothing. I tried that a couple times... All I hear is the solenoid click.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Not to sound questioning but you sure it was the solenoid and not the switch under the floor ? If so, time to break out the volt meter and see where you are losing power.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
ddeblance
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

STOP ASKING QUESTIONS!
No really ask... I can't confirm exactly where it was coming from. Sure sounded like it was coming from under the seat, passengers side.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

OK, what color was the pig ??
Old 05-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

ok, now really. You need to get the volt meter out and start checking. Flip the cart to Tow, take the battery cable loose from the - terminal, pull off the controller cover and leave it connected. Make sure the back of the Run/Tow switch is isolated. To be safe, jack the rear wheels off the ground and put stands under it. Make sure the switch is still on Tow and hook the battery cable back up. Flip it back to Run. It is easier if you take the seat off for this.. Put the volt meter terminals on the two small posts of the solenoid and push the pedal. If you get 36 volts and the wheels do not move it is probably the solenoid. If no 36 volts, it is in the activation circuit. If you want to test the solenoid you can run a temporary heavy jumper across the two main terminals of the solenoid and then press the pedal. If the wheels move and you have 36 at the small terminals, replace the solenoid.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
ddeblance
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, the issue is back...

After the last time this happened it didn't happen again.
So a few months ago I decided it was time I replaced the batteries as the run time was getting shorter and shorter. The other day I dropped new Trojan T105's with 4g cables and charged it until the charger stopped. Over night basically. This afternoon I back it out and with GPS, it 21mph.

As I turned the corner I dropped something, so I backed up, picked it up, flipped in in forward and click from under the seat. I pressed the peddle three or four times and it started moving forward, but max 6mph. Lifted the seat and I see the red wire going into the solenoid has been overheated at some point, but it didn't feel hot at that time. Got back on and full speed again. A few minutes later and 6mph. Messed with the wire and full seed again.

What is causing this wire to overheat? Could it have been an arc at some point? And do you think the solenoid is shot causing the speed difference or maybe the controller?

This is a exgo pds by the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140402_134036.jpg (185.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

That red wire feeds the controller electronics 100% of the time. The other end goes to J1 Pin-5, which is used for some voltage comparisons, so if it is damaged, you may be getting some false errors, like a welded solenoid, which will put the cart in a reduced performance mode.

You are running tall tires, my guess 22", so the the stock controller is probably on its last legs. When it goes, replace it with a DCX400 and hold onto your hat.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #10
ddeblance
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

JohnnieB,

Yes it has the lift and taller tires.
I just put $1k into it with batteries, tray ad cables. I told my wife it would be good to go after that.... AHHH!!!

Can I just go with another ezgo controller?

Who has the best deal on DCX400?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO