lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Default New Batteries Finally - Breakin tips? 4x12v

Squeezed an extra summer out of my battery pack but with all the use at the lake and a loose cable resulting in a melted terminal post, they were pretty much toast and the cart has been sitting in the barn all winter. Didn't want to buy batteries to care for all winter and not use, so waited until now to get new ones so I'll have some break-in time before time to go to the lake for the summer. Today, took in my cores and picked up 4 new Trojan 1275 12v's.

I've read the battery sticky and the state of charge sticky and the dealer I bought the batteries from gave me a break-in guide as well that is similar but not the same as what we have in our sticky. But I am looking for maybe some more specifics from anyone experienced doing this with the 4x12v precedent setup. I don't have a meter on my cart but I do have a handheld meter. After installing the batteries, I checked the pack and it was showing 50.4 volts. At what voltage level should I consider plugging the cart back in for the full charge? Any rough idea of how much riding I might need to do between recharging and getting back down to the level I need to recharge?
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Default Re: New Batteries Finally - Breakin tips? 4x12v

If you are not ridingthen charge it
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

I have read and know enough about it to know that's not the answer I am looking for. That's the mantra after the breakin period.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:26 AM   #4
Cabdella
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

everyone says drive the pack down to 75% and then recharge, do not drop below the 75%! Do this for 12-15 times, then never go below 50%. I also just put new batteries in, and bought a digital meter from ScottyB, 20 min install time and away I go. I also printed one of the many excel sheets people have on here for the % of the charge and mounted it where the golf tee's went. Then monitor it that way. Best $$ spent thru ScottyB and he will answer any question you have. Hope this helps.
Cabdella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLifeCC View Post
I have read and know enough about it to know that's not the answer I am looking for. That's the mantra after the breakin period.
Congrats on the fresh batteries

Read the battery sticky and scottys battery break-in/tips and they should last you years.

I put my 4 Trojans in Nov 2011 and they are still like new! Just checked the voltage this am and it read 50.9

When they need to be replaced, I'm gonna do the six 8 volt conversion. I want to see for myself if there is any "real" noticeable difference.
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

75% is what the tip sheet the dealer gave me says - and do it 10 - 20 times that way until I notice the recharge time go significantly down and the runtimes go up. The battery sticky here says go down to 50%. And I did read the state of charge sticky and will check it again but I believe it only addresses individual batteries. Should I mutiply the 12v readings by 4 and consider that my benchmark for the pack?

Went back and looked at the SOC sticky. 75% for 48v isn't specified but 70% and 80% are. So, if reading correctly, for my 48v setup, 75% should be somewhere around 49.74?
Old 04-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Quote:
I guess we dont all use our carts the same, since I use mine for golf, I play 18 and charge it even when my bats were brand new. I suppose if you only take it to church once a week you might do differently.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
75% is what the tip sheet the dealer gave me says - and do it 10 - 20 times that way until I notice the recharge time go significantly down and the runtimes go up. The battery sticky here says go down to 50%. And I did read the state of charge sticky and will check it again but I believe it only addresses individual batteries. Should I mutiply the 12v readings by 4 and consider that my benchmark for the pack?

Went back and looked at the SOC sticky. 75% for 48v isn't specified but 70% and 80% are. So, if reading correctly, for my 48v setup, 75% should be somewhere around 49.74?
That's pretty much how I did mine salt, I think I used ~49.75 volts. IMO, You don't need to be exact, but as close as you can.
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Yeh speed, I wish I were able to use mine for golf but it's a lake campground cruiser. Still, new batteries should be broken in in a prescribed manner before assuming normal "park and plug" procedures. Otherwise you never get the full potential out of them. I suspect many golf courses don't bother to do a real break-in because it isn't practical for them from a business perspective and they are probably just going to turn the carts over and replace them every few years anyway. Mine was one of those carts when I got it.

By the way, I didn't mean to sound like I apparently sounded when I go back and read my first response to you. I know that the normal recommendation by the manufacturer is, if it's parked, plug it in and don't disagree with you on that. But, for the first 10 or so cycles, the batteries should be drained down to a certain percentage before being charged back up.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec3201 View Post
That's pretty much how I did mine salt, I think I used ~49.75 volts. IMO, You don't need to be exact, but as close as you can.
Thanks Steve. Too many variables to be precise to the second decimal place I think. Especially since I don't have a meter to watch and have to stop and check it periodically with a handheld. The first time or two should give me a feel for how much riding I can do before getting down to 75%. If I see it anywhere below 49.8, I'll plug it in. It's at 50.4 right now, so I have a little cruisin to do.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car