lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
ArmyVetSgtAdkins
Philippians 4:13

Club Car

Default Curtis or Alltrax 500?

I need help deciding which controller to buy as I'm torn between the Alltrax 500 and Curtis for my 2004 48v Precedent it has 4 12v batteries and Iam upgrading all cables to 2 Awg and will be upgrading motor also so if anyone else has upgraded their motor and controller on a electric Precedent please give me some input so I can get this stuff ordered thru ScottyB..
Thanks in advance for any input
ArmyVetSgtAdkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
cmar143
Gone Wild

Default Re: Curtis or Alltrax 500?

Alltrax is all around best imo and its user adjustable parameters make it better suited then the stock Curtis which puts out less amps and also FSIP which again can not be user programmed. If your talking the Curtis 500A I have never used it but can say that it will need handheld in order to change any parameters if you ever need or want to.
cmar143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
ArmyVetSgtAdkins

Club Car

Thanks for the info and I think I will go with the Alltrax just for the fact it has 2 year warranty and is new opposed to the Curtis which is remanufactured and only has one year warranty and can't be programed or adjusted by myself from what I have read..
Old 11-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVetSgtAdkins View Post
Thanks for the info and I think I will go with the Alltrax just for the fact it has 2 year warranty and is new opposed to the Curtis which is remanufactured and only has one year warranty and can't be programed or adjusted by myself from what I have read..
Please keep us updated as I'm on fence as well. I read too many complaints about the Alltrax having jerky acceleration issues with club car IQ systems. I do like the ability to program the Alltrax with a pc though. Can anybody else offer coments on these two?
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
ArmyVetSgtAdkins

Club Car

I will keep everyone informed just wish someone who has dealt with these controllers on a Precedent would chime in
Old 11-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec3201 View Post
Please keep us updated as I'm on fence as well. I read too many complaints about the Alltrax having jerky acceleration issues with club car IQ systems. I do like the ability to program the Alltrax with a pc though. Can anybody else offer coments on these two?
I was one of the biggest complainers about jerky acceleration and after many discussions in this forum, I decided I would put in a new MCOR and that fixed the problem, cart runs perfect since I did that. And it has worked for others too.

That and changing some of the settings in the controller makes the cart run smooth as stock.

Mine is a DCX500 on a 2008 IQ. I put in a GE D1163 motor that rated 7HP at 5106 RPM and I go 25MPH on stock size tires, great torque. GE stopped manufacturing golf cart motors but Advance is now making that same motor (Advance is the same company Club Car used for stock motors).

I upgraded my solenoid to a 400 AMP HD as recommended by Alltrax on their site. You can get a lot of info on the Altrax site.

I still have stock cables and have not had any problems, and I use my cart for golf exclusively.

If you guys have any questions fire away.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
ArmyVetSgtAdkins

Club Car

Thanks for your input Speed chaser so what kind of torque increase did you gain? I feel little better about Alltrax after hearing your experience but I'm still debating the Curtis controller and also someone recommended a GE so I have a call out to Robby at PQ so I'm gonna see what controller he thinks matches up best with the motor they are building for me..
Old 11-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

I would not get a Curtis because you cannot program it without an expensive programmer tool.

I tried to get info on that GE 500 amp controller, just not much info out there. It has some adjusting screws that you can turn to adjust some settings but that is about all I know.

The alltrax can have special maps loaded based on whatever motor you get. If I were you though, I would get my motor and controller from the same vendor at the same time so they can make sure the controller is preprogrammed for your motor.

Alltrax stands behind their product. I had a 400 amp controller on my old DS cart and it died after a year, sent to Alltrax and they returned a brand new replacement unit free of charge. Eight years of continued use and never a problem.

My one and only problem with Alltrax was the jerky starts, but like I said, some programming changes and new MCOR fixed that. Also it is very possible your MCOR will be fine

As far as torque increase? Well our golf course is relatively flat but it will take any hill we got with no loss of speed and will accelerate up the hills like it was on flat ground. But I should refer to our "hills" as more like "mounds". And this will be more dependant on which motor you choose as opposed to which brand controller you get.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
ArmyVetSgtAdkins

Club Car

See that's what's keeping me from Curtis I don't want to have to buy some $800 hand held programmer to be able to adjust my controller, when I spoke with Ricky from PQ yesterday when I ordered my motor he said that they sell the GE controllers but said that I could use Alltrax but would need to turn turbo off and regen braking completely off but he said Robby would be able to advise me better so I have a call out to Robby and when he calls I will be asking all the questions I have about the GE controller and if it has some kind of adjustments I can make myself it seems it wouldn't be to bad so guess its just a waiting game now till I hear from Robby..Thanks for all the info and I will update as soon as I find out anything else

Last edited by ArmyVetSgtAdkins; 11-08-2012 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: miss spelling
Old 11-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

You are gunna lose regen braking regardless so that does not even matter. I do not know why he said turn off turbo, but honestly, I did not feel any difference in performance with turbo on or off, I tried it both ways.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car