lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2012, 02:55 AM   #1
Divebmbr48
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Club Car DS voltage reducer and mini amp install

Well, I finally started on my cart. Installed a five panel mirror and of course the dealer sold me a bracket I didn't need and it didn't come with self taping screws...Ok enough venting.

I searched on this site forever and couldn't really tell were people were mounting reducers and amps on DS's. So I am going at it on my own. I have only just started, still trying to track down a fuse box I want to use, and decide if I want to keep the 6.5" speakers that came with my Amp kit or pick up a pair of Polk Audio 5.25" speakers.

I started with a trip to Lowe's to see if an idea would hit me, and you know what?, it did...I found a Galvanized 16G piece or steal that is used for framing houses. So that is the mounting plate. I removed all the batteries to find some corrosion on the left side battery holder, not too bad though.

The first pic is looking from the front to the back with batteries removed.

second pic I installed the plate in order to figure out where to mount the reducer and amp. I hope it stays dry enough back there.

third pic, I removed the plate and installed both the amp and reducer. I will mount the fuse box in between once I find one. I really wanted one with negative groung but may forego that and just ground everything back to the battery. If anyone can chime in on either I'd appreciate it.

All the wires are soldered and shrink wrapped so I think that will help with any moister. My only concern is the RCA cable for the 3.5mm jack. I need to add an extension so the connectors will be under the cart.

Thanks for checking out my first MOD. I'll update as I finish it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg empty batt well.jpeg (116.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg Reducer Mockup.jpeg (117.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1 Reducer-mini amp.jpg (94.5 KB, 0 views)
Divebmbr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Club Car DS voltage reducer and mini amp install

. . . coming along nicely . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
Divebmbr48
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Still no fuse box but did wire up my LED underbody light. I made the whole kit for about $12.

Tested voltage regulator finally it's working. Reading 13v. Anyone now if that's a problem or ok?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (131.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-19-2012, 02:05 AM   #4
El Camino
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divebmbr48 View Post
Still no fuse box but did wire up my LED underbody light. I made the whole kit for about $12.

Tested voltage regulator finally it's working. Reading 13v. Anyone now if that's a problem or ok?
Your light looks good, you need to put an LED up front too. Be sure to post a pic on what you used for your lights, sounds like a good price on it. On the fuse box, you should be able to get a universal box at the auto parts store or at a marine store.
El Camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:48 AM   #5
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divebmbr48 View Post

. . . that is fine . . . most read about 13v or so . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
Divebmbr48
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I do have LEDs up front. Just not in the back. Going to wait till I install a lift kit an do paint. I didn't want to have to remove it to sen the body for paint.

As for the install, I used a 4 pack of 12" LED strips from eBay. ($. They have 3M on the back. I attached them to strips of plastic (an old plastic lisence plate with a car dealers name one it) then put heavy duty 3M on the plastic so it would stick better to the metal. Wired them all up to the switch which was about a $1.

They say they are weather proof. Only time will tell if they last. But not an expensive experiment.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
El Camino
Gone Wild
Club Car

[quote=Divebmbr48;792025]I do have LEDs up front. Just not in the back. Going to wait till I install a lift kit an do paint. I didn't want to have to remove it to sen the body for paint.

LOL!! Sorry, this is what happens when I get on the internet at 3:00 AM. (Eyes wide shut) Good, you are going to put LEDs on the back. It looks like they have a strong glow. Sense you Ebay, you should find a fuse box to fit your needs on there. I would look in boat parts.
El Camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:05 AM   #8
Divebmbr48
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

After reading more stuff about the trigger wires and ignition switch, is there a problem running both the voltage regulator tigger wire and mini amps trigger wire to the positive of ignition? Is a relay the only way to do it? or are the trigger wires designed for that? Everything works the way it's wired, but that doesn't make it right.

At a minimum should the mini amp trigger wire just be wired with its own (red fused) power line since the voltage regulator doesn't turn on until I turn the key?

Thanks for any inputs.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car