lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
devon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default crank bearings are nightmares

ok, big time help needed this time guys. i have an 83 ezgo with a 244 robins. i seized the bearing in the jug (clutch side) and have no good idea on how to "beat" the jug off the crank. nothing moves and already have the motor tore down to the crank, 1/2 the jug, clutch and piston and of course the dreaded bearing. had a bad expirence with the clutch not coming off and stripping almost everything out. i have the clutch bolt out and the washer off going to have it impacted off with the puller from someone up the street, just need to know if there is hope or should i stick the RIP on this one year only rare 3 wheel 1983.
devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: crank bearings are nightmares

If the bearing has spun inside the housing, then it may be impossible to remove as it may have made a "ridge" which is not allowing it to slide out.

Once you get the clutch off, you could try this to remove the case from the crank: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...se-halves.html

I assume it will work OK on a 2pg- but if the case is damaged, you may just need a new engine.
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
devon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

well the clutch was a no go but i do have the jug off of the crank. there are 2 bearings on this side and the one seems to have stayed movable and save me a lot of effort, the one next to the crank seal however left a tack weld on the jug and after beating it off i found it had welded itself to the jug and i believe the crank and other bearing. waiting on the guy down the street for a gear puller that is just the right size for this. the only problem is i tried it before and it did not come off. he said i needed a bigger socket and rachet for the job so i went out and got a 2 foot pipe wrench today. hope it will have the go go i need to finish the job, then i can retap the bolt threads for the clutch bolt. and get a new bolt cause the old one has no threads to even try to reassemble.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

If you have the correct puller for the clutch,lube the threads,run it up tight with an impact or wrench(impact works better due to the hammering-vibration),then give the head of the puller a good sharp hit with a decent hammer,it should pop off.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
devon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks i will be on it as soon as i can. now i do have a dumb question. the puller should sit on top of the back of the clutch where the washer is right? i do not have to go inside the bolt housing for a good push point?
Old 09-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The correct puller threads into the bore where the bolt goes into the crankshaft,and pushes against the end of the crank.The clutch is threaded for the puller.DO NOT use a Jaw-Type puller,you will damage the clutch.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
devon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok, so where to find one cause all i have is a hook puller "jaw". would it still be ok for a quick fix if i get a rod to fit the hole and push against the crank? the threads are stripped anyway after my first attempt (i did it the way not to) and now am without any good plans except this, besides finding a correct one and putting in some muscle... any ideas?
Old 10-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You could try rethreading the end of the clutch hub with for the next larger bolt size.
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #9
devon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

well i went and did it! stuck a small shaft in the hole and put a very long "bolt on top of it. twisted like hell and it gave a good jerk. tore it down looked inside and the small shaft broke off in the bolt hole for the crank. so now my question is what the heck can i do? i drill and retap the hole... the soft metal strips again after the excessive wear and tear....no idea if i can find a new crank and just cut the old one to get to the other side and drill it out..... or does this "grease gun" trick work?? i heard so many things i don't know what will pan out for it but i have to get it done. this is the one year only and i would like to brag about having it or get it sold for the right price to get one more suited for my outing ideas......
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO