lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
one65r
Not Yet Wild

Default Towed 05' Precedent on Run- Rear end locked up. What to do?

Ok, I let my brother in law use my cart this weekend at the deer camp. When the batteries died he towed it in run with a pickup about 2 1/2 miles down a highway until the rear end locked up and snapped the tow rope Fortunately nobody got hurt, but my motor is definitely fried.

I'm debating on tackling this project my self vs. taking it to a local cart place that wants $1200-$1600 to replace motor controller with a stock or upgraded motor. They didn't even look at the cart, but said the controller was definitely fried also.

Couple questions:

1) Is there any chance my controller isn't fried given the above scenario. I guess I'm debating if I should just buy a new motor or go ahead and order a controller and motor.

2) What do yall consider my best options for a combo motor/controller. I've looked at Plum Quick and the owner is probably one of the nicest guys and most helpful I've talked to, but he said an upgraded motor would be about 3 days for their purple motor or 2 weeks for an upgraded motor. I don't need a MONSTER motor, but would like good torque and pretty good speed also. Cart would do 21 mph with stock motor, jakes lift, and 22" offroad tires on it. I'm just sick because I've owned about 6 carts (currently have 3) and this was my favorite of all of them. It's just always driven awesome. Anything over 21-22 mpg is about as fast as I'd like to go anyway because it gets a little squirley, but I guess it's always there if I need it.

3) Do I give up a bunch of range when you go with a bigger controller/motor?

Lastly, I'm somewhat mechanical. How easy is it to swap out the motor/controller? Is it easier to do from underneath the cart if I have access to a car lift? I welcome any other input you guys could offer. Thanks in advance.
one65r is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Default Re: Towed 05' Precedent on Run- Rear end locked up. What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by one65r View Post
Ok, I let my brother in law use my cart this weekend at the deer camp. When the batteries died he towed it in run with a pickup about 2 1/2 miles down a highway until the rear end locked up and snapped the tow rope Fortunately nobody got hurt, but my motor is definitely fried.

I'm debating on tackling this project my self vs. taking it to a local cart place that wants $1200-$1600 to replace motor controller with a stock or upgraded motor. They didn't even look at the cart, but said the controller was definitely fried also.

Couple questions:

1) Is there any chance my controller isn't fried given the above scenario. I guess I'm debating if I should just buy a new motor or go ahead and order a controller and motor.

2) What do yall consider my best options for a combo motor/controller. I've looked at Plum Quick and the owner is probably one of the nicest guys and most helpful I've talked to, but he said an upgraded motor would be about 3 days for their purple motor or 2 weeks for an upgraded motor. I don't need a MONSTER motor, but would like good torque and pretty good speed also. Cart would do 21 mph with stock motor, jakes lift, and 22" offroad tires on it. I'm just sick because I've owned about 6 carts (currently have 3) and this was my favorite of all of them. It's just always driven awesome. Anything over 21-22 mpg is about as fast as I'd like to go anyway because it gets a little squirley, but I guess it's always there if I need it.

3) Do I give up a bunch of range when you go with a bigger controller/motor?

Lastly, I'm somewhat mechanical. How easy is it to swap out the motor/controller? Is it easier to do from underneath the cart if I have access to a car lift? I welcome any other input you guys could offer. Thanks in advance.
Cant answer as to whether the controller is fried or not, however, if you are upgrading the motor, I would go ahead and upgrade the controller as well, you will benefit by getting more torque to help spin those bigger wheels/tires.

There are a lot of choices out there for motor/controller upgrades, but personally I would get them both from the same vendor so the controller can be pre-programmed for the specific motor requirements.

The swap out is easy enough, I put my cart on rhino ramps and change the motor from underneath because the motor is heavy and very difficult to put it in from the access panel
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Yes your controller will be fried as well...and thats good advice from speedchaser on getting motor/controller combo from same place...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
one65r
Not Yet Wild

How long does it normally take to swap these out if I'm somewhat mechanical (but have never messed with swapping out the motor before)? We talking 1-2 hours or more? Also, do you use any type of sealant when you bolt the motor back to the housing to keep dirt/water out? Lithium Grease, Silicone, etc?
Old 09-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Normally takes no more than half and hour or so to swap a motor out, however it will take some time to swap all the wiring on the controller, no sealant or anything is needed to swap motor unless you wanna put some neverseize on the input shaft just in case you ever have to take it back off it will be a little easier....
Old 09-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

It is an easy job. Just make sure you get everything labeled well and back in the right spot. Also, use 2 wrenches when working on the motor leads. You don't want to spin those motor studs! Send your motor to PQ for an upgrade rebuild.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
one65r
Not Yet Wild

Anyone got any input on a great controller/motor combo? Since my motor and controller are both shot, it looks like I won't have a core to send off to Plum Quick. I'm also debating if I should get the basic Bandit motor for $325 vs. the executioner for $590. What's the best controller/motor combo for the money. I just wanna go in the low 20's with good torque and 22" tires.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

My suggestion is to call D & D Motors...they have tested all of this and can set you up with exactly what you need and they will program the controller and motor to function properly together as a package deal...1 (315) 701 0635
Old 09-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by one65r View Post
Anyone got any input on a great controller/motor combo? Since my motor and controller are both shot, it looks like I won't have a core to send off to Plum Quick. I'm also debating if I should get the basic Bandit motor for $325 vs. the executioner for $590. What's the best controller/motor combo for the money. I just wanna go in the low 20's with good torque and 22" tires.
This would be your first step: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html

You may already know what you have but you need to verify if you need a series or sepex and voltage of system so you can choose the correct controller/motor
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
Irishjoker
Tay-maha or Yama-dunn
Taylor-Dunn

Is your BNL paying for all this? Lol!!
Irishjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car