lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2008, 03:54 AM   #1
Broomberg
Not Yet Wild

Default 2003 electric EZGO randomly stops while driving.

Hi everyone.
I have an electric EZGO PDS. The problem that Im having is that when I drive on any terrain the cart will automatically come to a stop and beep. The beeps are about 3 sets of 4. Its very scary because I drive it in the streets and people have almost run into me. Right after it stops beeping and comes to a complete stop all I have to do is put down the pedal and it goes fine. I don't know whats causing this. I dont think its the batteries because its runs for very long periods and is pretty fast. I have a freedom chip which is the only modification.
its all stock with Victory batteries. Should I test the voltage on the batteries? Any suggestions? Thanks
Broomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2003 electric EZGO randomly stops while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomberg View Post
Hi everyone.
The beeps are about 3 sets of 4.
The diagnostic codes are on the controller. Listen carefully to the codes as they beep and then look at codes on cover to identify what fault code the controller is signaling.

pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
Broomberg
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for such a quick reply. The beeps that I'm hearing is not on the cover.
Broomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Put the cart into diagnostic mode.
With key "OFF" and Run/Tow in "RUN"
Move FNR switch from Neutral to Reverse 5 times.
First beeps (1,2,3,or 4) indicate what performance option is set on controller.

The second series of beeps will indicate fault code. 1,2,3 or 4 beeps followed by a pause then 1,2,3 or 4 more beeps.

Compare to chart on ESC cover.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:48 PM   #5
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum Broomberg..................
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
guybratton
Not Yet Wild

I believe I have the same problem with the same year cart. Unfortunately I do not yet have the solution, hence my presence in this forum. I do think I can clarify the symptoms though. The diagnostic mode advice is not quite on track. The beeping is a result of something else, and the diagnostic beeps don't apply.

My cart will be crusing along at top speed and will suddenly come to an abrupt stop accompanied by a beeping pattern. The beeping pattern seems to be due to the walk-away alarm that would normally result from your cart rolling away on a downhill without you intending it. In such circumstances the cart enacts a fail-safe that limits the speed and sounds the beeps to notify you that your cart is slowly rolling away. Nice feature-wrong timing.

Normally, to reset the walk-away feature, you step on the accelerator to indicate your desire to be rolling, and the "engine brake" releases and the alarm stops. That is why this problem we are having self corrects. Somehow the cart is getting the message that it has been sitting still and is now uncontrollably rolling. This would come from a temporary disconnection in electricity flow that would make the cart think it had been sitting still. In my case, I have checked all connections to make sure they are tight, and they are all good. I disconnected the walk-away sensor and it still happened, just much more slowly. My symptoms are reproducible in certain locations such as at the bottom of a particular hill. In general, though, they are unpredictable and very annoying (and frequent). I have adapted by always being ready to quickly release and re-press my accelerator, but that is not a good long-term answer.

HAs this helped trigger any ideas out there?
guybratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Speed sensor maybe.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
guybratton
Not Yet Wild

Where would one find this speed sensor? Is it able to be isolated?
guybratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:34 PM   #9
gamer1
Getting Wild

Had the exact same problem for almost a year. It finally quit and wouldn't take off so I ran through the trouble shooting guide with a volt meter. Read my post earlier this week. Be sure to unplug all the plastic plugs going to the controller and check the pins for corrosion and burnt. Also the plug going to the tow/run switch. Good luck.
gamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:47 PM   #10
cartworldinc
Not Yet Wild

Don't know if this will solve your problem but here is where I would start. I have had this to happen on several occasions. The wire that comes out of the end of your motor is the speed sensor wiring. Where the motor is bolted to the axle there is a metal loop that all of the cables run through. Check the speed sensor wiring in this area to make sure they have not rubbed the insulation off. If they have and two of the wires short together on the loop this would cause that problem. If this is the case just use some electrical tape to reinsulate. Next... A reed switch with a bad connection would cause this to happen but it's unlikely, They usually either work or they dont... but to test this run a jump wire from the positive terminal where your charger wire is connected to the small wire where the reed power runs into the harness ( its the red wire coming from your charger port) jump the power into the harness not the charger port. If this fixes your problem you can just leave the jump wire in place but be careful, The cart will operate with the charger plugged in. The symptoms you have described seem like a solenoid drop out, but this would be picked up by the diagnostics so probably unlikely. I hope this helps and if you realize any more symptoms let me know.
cartworldinc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003, beeps, electric, ezgo, low voltage
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO