lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
junior1954
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G16a Hard Start and Stall

Hello all.
I've been experiencing hard starting (motor turns over slowly) and intermittent loss of spark when I'm driving just after I take my foot completely off the gas pedal and then push to accelerate. While it's dying, if I turn the ignition off then on, it will run fine until the gas pedal switch is tripped again. I've jumped the positive cable on the solenoid (bypassing the solenoid) and also to the red/white wire on the solenoid and the engine turns over just fine, eliminating the solenoid and starter generator. I then measured voltage across the red/white to black on the top of the solenoid and noticed a significant voltage drop while stepping on the gas pedal to crank and you can hear the reverse beeper loose voltage (headlights are bright during cranking). When I measured the voltage from red/white (pos) to battery ground, there was no drop.I checked out the wiring schematic and figured it was either the start/stop relay (since it controls both starter solenoid and ignition and is also in the reverse beeper's circuit) or a bad ground. The connections at the battery, starter and solenoid are clean and tight and the battery is brand new and fully charged. I also just rebuilt the starter/generator and it's working fine. I've ordered a new start/stop relay. My question is this: the schematic indicates two grounds, engine and body, and **** my eyes, I can't find 'em! Can anyone tell me where they're at?
junior1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G16a Hard Start and Stall

Upper Rh side of wiring diagram has a terminal picture labeled 2. This is engine ground. Upper Lh side of wiring diagram has a terminal picture labeled 16. This is body ground. Hope that helps - RAY

PS-Let us know if replacing that relay cures your problem.
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
junior1954
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the reply. I see the body and engine grounds on the schematic, not on the cart. Where are they located?
Old 08-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Really not 100 % sure, but you need to follow the black wires around the engine compartment until you find it. I would bet that the engine ground is made somewhere near the spark coil (called pickup) mounting as that ground is in the same connector as the blue wire from the stop relay that goes to the spark coil (that one may be buried under engine sheet metal). - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
junior1954
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks, Ray-I'll bird-dog it.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
junior1954
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It was the start/stop relay. New one cured the problem.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha