lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
alowishes
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Ac electric motor

Hi everyone, first time to post a question. I read on this forum almost daily. Have learned alot. I now have a 48v CC 07 with 4 12v. I use my cart pretty heavy in the summer ( everyday all day avg. 12mi a day ). Thinking maybe I should go with a gaser LOL. I have talked to a few cart dealers, and they rave about the EZGO AC motors. Anyone know much about them? Pro & Cons. I prefer CC. Thanks in advance.
alowishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ac electric motor

I guess if you bought one from the get/go it would be fine but to convert from a 48v DC system to a 48v AC system runs in the neighborhood of $3000 . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
alowishes
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the replay. No I have no intention of making a conversion like that. Just wondering what the difference is.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
rib33024

Welcome to BGW

Here's some info

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/searc...RID%3A11&hl=en
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
VCTech
Not Yet Wild

ACs do not utilize brushes, hence less heat is generated compared to your typical DC.

Their RPM max is higher than most DCs; hence the torque curve is broader. What this means is that it's advantageous for hill climbing. Plus, you don't need to use lower gears to gain top end. 12:1 gears are plenty.

ACs utilize "regenerative braking." You can get up to 30% more range over DCs.

I read on here that many people who use aftermarket, high performance DC motors have to fully depress the accelerator so that overheating/damage doesn't occur when traveling up a slope. You don't have to worry about that with AC motors. You can depress the throttle at any position.

They are widely used in electric forklifts if that tells you anything.

Since they're nowhere near as ubiquitous as DC drives, they're relatively "pricey" at this point. However, we are out to change that perception--of being pricey--because many manufacturers don't produce both the controller and motor together.
VCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
alowishes
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the detail explanations on the AC motors, may look into it now. Is price the main reason why they are not more popular?
Old 10-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
VCTech
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by alowishes View Post
Thanks for the detail explanations on the AC motors, may look into it now. Is price the main reason why they are not more popular?
That is perhaps the biggest reason why AC drives aren't as popular as DC. The controller is pricier than a DC controller; however, an AC controller is much more complex than a DC controller, and that's the reason why. The motors are about the same in price. You can browse our website www.vctechusa.com if you'd like to see what we offer. However, we do not sell directly to the public.
VCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car