lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides
Members Rides Golf Carts Only.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
Verytall1
Not Yet Wild

Default Three wheeler EZGO

Some forums are helpful, some are not. Some run on about this and that and never privide helpful ideas and/or suggestions. Some not. I'm looking for ideas and thoughts from experienced folks.

I cut my EZGO into two halfs at the battery box. I'm going to beef the front portion, add a stem/post and center/cycle type steering and make this a man size stand up and ride unit. Front wheel will be 10x7, center, tyre 205/50-10.
I'm undecided as to use the area between the rear wheels as standing/riding position or, reposition three batteries and stand infront of the second row of batteries and reposition the first set of three to just behind the motor. Initial questions/concerns are:

1. Weight of cart on front bearings seems better distributed with a wheel with NO "offset". I have no data/experience to suport this --- seems to make sense.
a) what do people do/use with three wheeled carts. Is wheel center or offset?
b) if I select a live axel would it be ok to use an offset wheel. Is this wheel/standard golf cart wheel strong enough for application?

2. I've spent time with local cops, DMV and CHP. The plan is to register and get licensed as "cycle". Among other items, cart will need front brakes. Front hub(s) will have hub and disc brakes from mini-chopper parts supplier. Has anyone ever added brakes to the front of a cart? Once again --- seems straight forward. Down tubes will be fabricated once wheel,hubs, brakes assembled.

3. What affect will moving a set of three batteries 24" away from the other batteries have on the operation of the motor, electronics and charging?

Thanks,
Gents and Ladies
mj
Verytall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Verytall1
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Three wheeler EZGO

Something like this, except 90 degree tiller steeling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scooter 004.jpg (50.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 06-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #3
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verytall1 View Post
I cut my EZGO into two halfs at the battery box. I'm going to beef the front portion, add a stem/post and center/cycle type steering and make this a man size stand up and ride unit. Front wheel will be 10x7, center, tyre 205/50-10.
Like the old honda 3 wheel atv, they have brake setup on a 10" wheel already

I'm undecided as to use the area between the rear wheels as standing/riding position or, reposition three batteries and stand infront of the second row of batteries and reposition the first set of three to just behind the motor. Initial questions/concerns are:
I would be inclined to put some on the sides, all as low as possible also, make kinda a box to stand in the middle of. this would distribute the weight better. 2 in front, 2 running up the sides, 2 in back. It won't matter how far apart they are if you use big enough cables, 2 gage welding cables would be fine

1. Weight of cart on front bearings seems better distributed with a wheel with NO "offset". I have no data/experience to suport this --- seems to make sense.
a) what do people do/use with three wheeled carts. Is wheel center or offset?
b) if I select a live axel would it be ok to use an offset wheel. Is this wheel/standard golf cart wheel strong enough for application?

3 wheel carts use normal golf cart wheels they have no offset and are extremely strong. you could use off set wheels if you like but a live axle is going to make it harder to turn, with any luck you'll have all 3 wheels on the ground most of the time so it shouldn't be a big deal

mj
Just a few ideas, I think if I were you i'd scap the standup idea and add a seat though
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Verytall1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for reply.
Yes, I intend to lower batteries.
Using welding cable is intended.
I'm trying to imagine standing still and pivoting --- bearings may give easier turn, but still lot of rubber on surface. I'll live with. Other wise, why would live axel vs bearings make for harder/more difficult turning?
So far foot print is triangle about 39/39/39, ( don't remember ), or width of rear wheels.
Don't want sit-down, want stand-up.

So far largest fab consideration seems to be doing a down tube/post with bearings top and bottom.
Thanks for comments

Belmont winner 38/1 !!!!
Don't count the chickens....!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steering5.jpg (38.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 06-07-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
ruredy
Born Wild

Live axle will turn both rear wheels the same amount, this will push the rig in the direction the rear wheels are going while trying to turn. the inside tire/wheel will need to travel less distance in the direction of the turn and the only way it can is to break contact with the ground. on open rear ends the setup will allow either wheel to travel shorter or longer distances without breaking contact with the ground.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
Verytall1
Not Yet Wild

Morning,
OK Let's try this o n e m o r e time.
If you look at the pic you'll get a better idea of what I'm building.
The front half of golf cart will set aside for future parts/projects.
I will beef up the portion just in front of the batteries to support a stem/steering post.
The drive/transmission end will remain unchanged. It's perfect the way it is.
This "live" axel conversation was intended to be about steering wheel/tire, NOT the drive ones.
Hope that clears it up. And yes....I understand functions of slip, limited, proportional differentials vs. solid drive wheel configurations. Have a good one.
mj
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides