lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Fire

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-projects.html

Man.... So the lifted cart in this thread that I just did, caught fire today and burnt up, we have no idea what happen. I've installed numerous controllers and motors, etc and this was no different than any other one.

I have to retrieve the cart today to see what happened, but think it may have started in the battery area, but just don't know. The strange thing is we drove it all over yesterday, and last night and it charged all night with out a problem... this majorly SUCKS!
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Fire

CJ, man that really sucks big time ...........brings back bad memories for me as the 1st elec. cart i ever worked on caught fire..............if you can don,t let them touch or do anything until you can look at it you might get an idea where fire started............and that might help you cause theres still a chance its not something you did.............fire is most of the time is from a loose cable or a motor really heating up......this thing was upgraded wasn,t it?? motor, cables and such.........what speed system did it have? it didn,t have a V-glide did it? if so thats a place to look......i hope there wasn,t a V-glide.......the other thig would be if you left a tool in there and it worked itself to somewhere where it shorted something out..............plase take some pics and post them we may be able to tell where it started..........but yeah this really bites the big one..................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Shadow... yes I am totally gutted... this sucks....

So details.... Trojan batteries 2 years old, installed a DCX500amp controller, heavy duty solenoid, 2 gauge soldered and crimped power cables through out including batteries, battery circuit was fused. Solenoid was 400 amp, had precharge resistor, had a plum quick motor. Every connection had lock nuts so nothing came loose.

With out looking.... everything that I did, I have done numerous times, installed that exact same setup at least 10 times and have it on my cart.

As soon as I get home I will retrieve the cart take pictures etc, I've already talked to AllTrax, and my supplier, been trying to get a hold of Plumquick...
Old 09-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

That really blows! Hope you can track down what the issue was. Get some pics up when you get them. This is all of ours biggest fear when working on the electric buggies.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #5
Guyplaying
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Wow, I am sorry to hear about this. That really does suck. That was a great looking cart as well.
Guyplaying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
ZackMan
Getting Wild

Club Car

I'm sorry about your golf cart, but glad to hear that there were no injuries. When you get a chance, if possible, please post some pictures to share.

ZackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just stopped and saw the cart, will have dinner and go retrieve it. But early indications is the controller failed catastrophically catching fire. No signs of battery issues cable issues or motor issue. But will test as I get it home.... The controller has the ends blown out of it and it was shooting flames down and up.

More to come.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry to hear about this! Was the cart in use at the time? I will start carrying a small fire extinguisher from now on. A pair of dykes to cut a cable wouldn't be a bad idea either!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

I had an Alltrax controller burn up on me recently, but I was at the end of the driveway and had just finished working on the cart. Everything was fine, cart was running, then the magic smoke started pouring out. I am sure if I didn't get the battery pack disconnected the cart would have burned to the ground. Controller was fused correctly and was 4 years old. It happens.....
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #10
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am sorry to hear this. You did a great job on that cart and it seems to be a component failure with the quick peak you took already. Even though rare, I always have that fear in the back of my mind. Looks like I may carry a small fire extinguisher and cable cutters just in case
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car