lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
Scoobyh409
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1987 Marathon 3PG wont run

I've just recently became the owner (not so proud yet) of a '87 EZ GO Marathon 3 wheeler. It has the 3PG motor. The previous owner had let it set up for many years. Thanks to Dave from a previous post I got my ignition system firing well. I have removed the oiling system as it was filling the cylinder with oil. (I guess it had stuck wide open.) I finally got all the oil out of the cylendar. My problem at this point is it doesn't seem to be getting enough fuel pressure. The cart will fire and run if you spray a small amount of starting fluid into the carb, but will not run on its on gas. If I remove the fuel line and spin the motor the gas is barely trickling out of the line. Possible fuel pump failure?? I have BBQ'd my exhaust already as I assumed it would be clogged because of the excess oil in the cylinder. (Picture attached) Please let me know what my next step will be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exhaust.jpg (64.7 KB, 23 views)
Scoobyh409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1987 Marathon 3PG wont run

you should be getting a steady pulse/stream when you crank her over with the fuel line unhooked - a pump rebuild kit is around $28, a brand new pump is around $32 so it's sort of a "no brainer" .... FIRST, though - make sure you check that all the lines are clean, filter, etc - also check the intake tube in the tank, they like to gum up on the bottom AND they like to leak around the elbow on top, being a pressfit.

Another idea, but once you go through the lines, filter, and intake tube, wrap a rag around the gas tank inlet and blow into it to prime or pressurize the system - these pumps have a very hard time prinimg themselves, and yours could just have a bubble or ? going on
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Scoobyh409
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I actually have the original tank out right now. I have a small lawn mower gas tank temporarily rigged in. I'm not sure about the small one way valve inline after the fuel pump. Could it be tested without this one way valve or does it have to have it for the pulse pump to work? Thanks for all the help. Just want to be sure that I need a fuel pump before ordering.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

those usually don't have a one way valve. could it be a filter? if you're using another tank it still may need to be primed. also, if the seals are bad you not get a strong pulse to the fuel pump. you can pull the pump and open it up to check for cracks in the diaphram. just be sure to note arrows on the pump and which way they go.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

after the fuel pump? That's strange - every cart I've seen has a line from the pump straight into the carb, and the fuel filter is BEFORE the pump ... I'm woundering if it wouldn't be worth carefully disassembling the pump to see if there's some debris interfering with the diaphragm, if there's no filter before it ...

And I would be SURE you have the system primed correctly if you are running a different tank - same deal, wrap the inlet with a rag and blow into it to pressurize.

The pulse pump (depending on the type you have) either runs direct off the crankcase pressure, or on some styles there is a short hose between the crankcase and the pump, if you have that style it wouldn't hurt to ensure the hose isn't cracked, etc because that would definitely replicate your symptoms
Old 07-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
Scoobyh409
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It has a large filter before the pump then a one way valve or filter (see attached link below from sponsor site) after the pump. I have taken the pump apart and it seems like it might have some old gunked gas in the pump. I believe I may have just answered my own problem with this. My pump is mounted directly to the crank case.

http://www.everythingcarts.com/p-197...el-filter.aspx
Old 07-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Oops - sorry, Madoc - crossed posts :)

Great minds SURE do think alike, hey?
Old 07-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Not that it adds anything to this thread but....
three wheeler
and a 3PG engine
are three statements that can't be in the same sentence.

or have I lost the plot

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Dave, I was going to go there and I thought better - although I agree, "2PG" fits more appropriately, and the jury is still out on "3-wheeler" because not so long ago there was another thread where the whole "87 trike" thing came up and it actually did appear that in fact they did still make the 3-wheelers in 87 ...

Then again, just to really make this weird - didn't they stop using the vacum line in the 88 (like mine - pump goes right to crankcase) and continue that style through the 3PG?

AND - to really REALLY make this weird I'll go back to the matter at hand - personally, I'd dump the second filter either way, especially now that you're running premix it's just another gunk-point, and your primary filter should do the job of keeping the pump and carb clean from this point on.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #10
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

And of course the jets on these things are mundo finicky. If you haven't disassembled the carb yet, do so and clean it out, making sure you get the jets and the fuel feeder screw from the bottom of the bowl. Also good to check the float to see if it's opening up the incoming fuel jet.

Mine had sat for a few years, and it varnished to the point where the bowl had flakes in it, and this plugged the jets twice before I got it cleaned out (wire brush). And of course, something in the lines blocked the jet that feeds fuel into the carb.

However, the issue is feed - also check the vacuum line going to the pump - these things get old and brittle and can lose suction (I had to do this too). Also a good idea to take off the fuel pump and do a finger test of the diaphragm to ensure that there are no cracks in it that you can't see, but can feel.

And after doing all this, I'm guessing that the main culprit is the crank seals.....
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO