lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
KSCart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1992 Club Car starting problem

I have a 1992 Club Car. It starts sometimes very quickly then other times it will not start at all. There is a wire that goes to the front of the engine that goes onto a spade connector that seems to wiggle loose. I used some needle nose pliers to tighten it up. It seemed to fix it for a while but now it is not working again. Problem seems to be electrical since it is intermittent but need some advice on where to start troubleshooting.
KSCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 1992 Club Car starting problem

when it won,t start check it fopr spark....92,s are famus for revlimitor/ignitor going bad and that wire sounds like the rev limitor wire or the wire from that to ignitor if its just a bad end than just repair but if the unit itself is going bad the best thing to do if you want the cart running and you want to be done with the problem is replace both of them as a pair cause theres no foolproof way to bench test them and its a crapshoot trying to figure which one it is......................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
KSCart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the advice. I will test the spark tonight again but I will probably just order a rev limiter and see if that helps. I will post the results when I have it fixed.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
rose88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Take the ground wire off the rev limiter and try? I just did the same thing to a 2002 that wouldn't spark and it fixed it.
rose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
KSCart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok, I ordered an ignitor. I tested the spark and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I cannot find the rev limiter. Where is it? I think the ignitor is on the front of the engine with black and white wire going to it. Is that correct?
Old 04-26-2011, 05:51 AM   #6
JW67
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thats the rpm limiter. Remove that and turn it over. The ignitor is a little square box screwed to it. It is small.

That wire (black & white striped) that wiggles loose is a ground from the black box. It is what kills the coil when you let off the gas or turn off the ignition. The cart will start with out it plugged in. You just can't shut i off if the carb is open enough to let it idle.
JW67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:03 AM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose88 View Post
Take the ground wire off the rev limiter and try? I just did the same thing to a 2002 that wouldn't spark and it fixed it.
That's kind of a misleading statement. Removing the ground wire doesn't fix anything, it removes the part from the ignition circuit so you can determine if the limiter needs to be replaced or not. The wire should be either reinstalled if found good or the limiter replaced if bad to prevent damage to the engine.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
KSCart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Last time I removed that wire the engine would not shut off.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
That's kind of a misleading statement. Removing the ground wire doesn't fix anything, it removes the part from the ignition circuit so you can determine if the limiter needs to be replaced or not. The wire should be either reinstalled if found good or the limiter replaced if bad to prevent damage to the engine.
Chopping the ground wire from the Rev limiter merely removes the limiter from the system;PITA anyway; It don't change RPM. To achieve higher RPm requires some constructive thought and it's all around the governer. My motor runs a max of 3900 but generally operates in the 2700 to 3500 range. Totally reliable over two years.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #10
crash12888
Gone Crazy

So it is written, so shall it be tried!!

By someone that will over rev it, blow it up, and blame someone here.....
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car