lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
Ryan4t4
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Angry fuse blows when charger is plugged in???

I just got a 1993 club car ds 36V resistor v glide cart. I installed new batteries, new fuse and have a brand new charger straight out of the box.

The first time I plugged in the charger, the fuse popped immediately before the charger even kicked in.

I got a new fuse and cleaned out the charger recepticle (cart had been sitting for ~10 years). I didn't even plug in the charger to the wall and when I plugged in the charger cord the fuse popped again!!!

I can't find a short in any wires (the cart runs fine) or anything grounded to the frame (as seen in other threads).

What are the risks if I hard wire the fuse posts as suggested by Scottyb?

What the heck to I check or do next??? Thanks
Ryan4t4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: fuse blows when charger is plugged in???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan4t4 View Post
I just got a 1993 club car ds 36V resistor v glide cart. I installed new batteries, new fuse and have a brand new charger straight out of the box.

The first time I plugged in the charger, the fuse popped immediately before the charger even kicked in.

I got a new fuse and cleaned out the charger recepticle (cart had been sitting for ~10 years). I didn't even plug in the charger to the wall and when I plugged in the charger cord the fuse popped again!!!

I can't find a short in any wires (the cart runs fine) or anything grounded to the frame (as seen in other threads).

What are the risks if I hard wire the fuse posts as suggested by Scottyb?

What the heck to I check or do next??? Thanks

For starters can you link me to where I said this?????
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:49 PM   #3
Ryan4t4
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...lown-fuse.html
Old 12-30-2010, 12:52 AM   #4
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

he mentions that it is possible, but not advised unless you are replacing with another style fuse.

obviously, you have a short somewhere that needs to be addressed. bypassing the fuse will only make matters worse as its your only line of protection from damaging the next weakest link in the chain. (ie: kill something expensive, burned wires, fire, etc.)
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I said..." guys rewire the charger receptacle to go around the old fuse. It is easy to do and works fine. You loose the protection that you obviously used but you can replace it with a $4 *(appropriate amperage) fuse from any auto parts store mounted between the battery pack Negative post and the cart......"

You should get a digital voltmeter and check polarity... that is obviously your where your problem lies. Maybe your charge wires are connected wrong from the battery install?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

NEVER NEVER BY PASS A FUSE UNLESS YOU ARE ELECTRONIC EXPERT and even then you can destroy a cart?? Fuses are for protection and I have seen some carts burned up by doing this very thing? Have you confirmed that when replacing batterys you wired them correctly? I would check with digital meter for complete pack voltage ( in your case 36 volts total ) Most of us at one time or another have turned battery polarity or cable connections around and had similiar problems? I have even seen a few batterys that had polarity wrong and had to be replaced or polarity changed?
If every thing checks out good I would try another charger as it could be POSSIBLE that your new charger has problem?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Hey watch it.
I bypassed a fuse on my old Datsun back in the day and all it did was MELT the wiring harness.
If U put new batteries in , then check each battery, then do a add
exp. battery 1 and battery 2, then battery 1 and 2 and 3 ...etc to the point where U have measured the entire pack .
This will eliminate, bad connections, bad cables, reversed batteries ... etc.
Report results back here !
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
Ryan4t4
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Hey Gleemo,

Thanks for the interest. You guys aren't going to like this but I'm going with a 3 x 12V battery setup cause I just want to tool around the golf course; no serious buggie-ing!

Results are as follows:

12.1 V
24.8 V
36.9 V

Polarity on each battery and across the pack are correct. I've replace just about all the smaller wires, but still haven't got my hands on any 6 or 4 gauge to replace all the bigger ones.

Replaced another fuse this morning and all suspect smaller wires; didn't even have the charger cable plugged into the charger and it sparked and blew the fuse again when I plugged it in!!! Outta fuses now so back to the part store. I may pick up new bigger cables from a welding supply store but still undecided about 4 or 6 gauge. Not looking for any other upgrades; wanna go with stock components.

Should i grab another charger recepticle (dont see any visual signs of burns/shorts) or do you guys still think wiring is incorrect? I've checked it all a thousand times....

Thanks again for all the advice!
Old 12-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
Ryan4t4
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Also, would there still be a suspect short if the cart actually runs ok?
Old 12-30-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

wait , U mean this thing is running , just not charging ?

Tell us the story !
exp. I bought this old cart which was not running and had no cherger .
It now XXX's
And I have replaced XXXX and YYYY , ZZZZ
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car