lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
inline6power
Getting Wild

Default need motor advice please!!!!!!!!!

well picked up a 98 gas ezgo minus motor. i am taking the lift and suspension off the cart in my avatar to build a monster gas cart. my question is i have about 6 old lincon welders that are no longer anygood. have 3 kohler 23hp motors in them and the other 3 are 18hp as well but i cant find a name brand on them. would these be ok to try and use if i wanted ? any critisism is welcome. i also would really want to throw a diesel in but cant seem to find one. thanks in advance.
inline6power is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
inline6power
Getting Wild

Default Re: need motor advice please!!!!!!!!!

this is a link to the type of motors that are in my welders.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinec...Number=Command PRO CH23/CH680
Old 11-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
inline6power
Getting Wild

anyone? just want to know if this motor will work if not i need to start looking for different options.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:57 AM   #4
inline6power
Getting Wild

Anyone?
Old 11-16-2010, 07:09 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

This type of motor will work in a golf cart.
There are not any aftermarket exhaust or intake mods available so you will be on your own for that but some people don't mind that. I found an almost new 25hp Robin for my workhorse build. It is a similar large equipment motor. These motors might not be as responsive to throttle speed changes as say the Vanguard but, they are quite suitable if you are looking for a budget build...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3810.jpg (117.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3809.jpg (129.1 KB, 2 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If you can get a clutch on the shaft, odds are it will work. Mostly the issue with using the vanguards is the aftermarket parts and how it will rev high with a cheap rev kit. They do race Kohlers so you can find some parts for them and mods, just not as well known you will have to hunt them down. Of course more rpm means more speed and you can keep the big low end power you get with lower gearing. Over 20hp though you have enough power to run higher gears in most situations. Typically the OHV style engines get rpm better. One guy on here has an old B&S 18 opposed flathead in a cart, I know the mowers have plenty of power, he was tuning the clutch last I knew. Either way 9hp is only 9hp. I put a 16hp clone in and it is a world of difference though it does not want to rev that high either it is at 30mph with 22s just like stock, but gets there much faster. There are parts available for them, they are only 250-380 to buy, honda copies.

If a clutch will fit and you can fit it in the cart, it will work. If you can put better valve springs/etc in it and get some higher rpm like 5K maybe more without it tossing a rod, that is all the better.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!