lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
sierrakjf
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Big Block Cart Prep, Electrical ?

I was wondering as I'm getting ready to prep the cart for it's big block transplant.
Is ANY of the electrical of the stock cart required / needed for the new engine install ? I would like to be able to remove all the old wiring anc clean-up the engine compartment. AS I'm an Industrial HVAC Mechanic my approach to wiring is Keep it neat clean and as simple as possible.
Let me know if I get to rip it all out
sierrakjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Default Re: Big Block Cart Prep, Electrical ?

You might want to keep the battery...

Seriously, rip it all out unless except for accessory wiring. If the old wiring harness is decent maybe somebody here could use it. I made new fuse blocks for power and ground, much simpler and "easier" for me, should be a piece of cake for you. I kept the mounting hardware for the miscellaneous stuff, was useful to hang new relays, etc from. Good Luck and take lots of pics for us.....
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I left it all in the G9 I did, but we used the stock generator/starter. I unplugged the part to the coil and pickup and ignitor. Going to put a relay on the power from the pedal to kill ignition when stopped. But if you don't use any of that you might as well take it out except for the battery cables, and put your new key switch in.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
sierrakjf
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for your replies. I want the cart to operate like a car so I'm assuming with the CPP big block kit the wiring hanress they refrence will operate it as a car OFF-RUN-START ?
does the ignition switch come with an auxillary if you just want to run a stereo while the cart is off. If it does not I guess i could run the stereo power through a seperate switch. I just dont want to stereo left on and drin the batterey. I think I read somewhere that there is a switch / relay that if the stereo was left on the battery would only drain down so low then open up the relay / switch to cut power.

Does anyone run a master batterey cut-off as security for the cart. I see summit racing has some with a special inset key that will kill all power to the cart when the key is removed ? That and a wheel lock should keep the cart from being stolen

Thanks again for the advice
Ken
sierrakjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Here's one of my favorite anti-theft threads.....

Let's face it, if somebody really wants to drag a cart off or up on a trailer, it's hard to prevent.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ght=anti+theft
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!