lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
CDPII
Not Yet Wild

Default 36V FR switch on a 48V cart 700A controller

I have just installed a 700 amp controller on my 48V club car and I was told by my local guy that the 36V Forward Reverse switch is heavy duty enough to handle the upgrade. I got into the project and did the controller with no problem but once I took a look at the 36 volt switch nothing seems to line up. I was told I would lose my reverse buzzer which is already disconnected anyways so thats not a big deal. Has anyone else heard of this as a work around for an upgraded F/R switch and if so could you possibly post some wiring pics or diagram for this noob:) I would call my local guy but he is outta town for the holiday weekend and I would like to get the cart running for Sunday. Thanks...
CDPII is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2010, 11:01 PM   #2
pansser
ZONE FREE ZONE

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36V FR switch on a 48V cart 700A controller

sounds like a fire story coming soon!
you need to go to a H/D FnR and a H/D Sol.(with correct diode and resistor) before things go south fast.
pansser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

What yr CC?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDPII View Post
I have just installed a 700 amp controller on my 48V club car and I was told by my local guy that the 36V Forward Reverse switch is heavy duty enough to handle the upgrade. I got into the project and did the controller with no problem but once I took a look at the 36 volt switch nothing seems to line up. I was told I would lose my reverse buzzer which is already disconnected anyways so thats not a big deal. Has anyone else heard of this as a work around for an upgraded F/R switch and if so could you possibly post some wiring pics or diagram for this noob:) I would call my local guy but he is outta town for the holiday weekend and I would like to get the cart running for Sunday. Thanks...
Been working at a dealer for 9 years now and I've never seen a 36V F&R Switch melt... Seen plenty of 48V ones do it... The Club Car Torque Drive kit for 48V cars actually comes with a 36V F&R Switch... It's plenty heavy duty for that kit which includes a 400 amp controller... I would imagine it would work just as well for the 700Amp... it's pretty beefy... About three years ago I completely quit using the 48V one as a replacement part, the 36V one is cheaper, and tougher...... It's a win-win situation. The story about you losing your reverse buzzer is crap though... All you've gotta do is take the three micro switches off of the 48V switch and mount them to the 36V switch... It all works the same way....
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #5
CDPII
Not Yet Wild

It is a 1997 CC. My local guy swears its heavy duty enough to do the job but it does not look anything like the 48 volt one so switching wire to wire is not gonna work??
Old 07-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Agreed. But .......I think you have to modify the 36v switch to activate all 3 switches Dave? I have here that has a plate screwed to the cam so it will 'hit' all switches..... anyway that being said, nivel makes a HD 48v switch that will stand up if you are having trouble just get the HD 48v switch. the contacts are the same inside... 4 contacts, 3 possibilities...forward ~ reverse~ neutral
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #7
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I assume this is the 36 volt one made for the resistor cars? It has 1 copper bus bar that points towards the Passenger side and 2 that point to the ground? If so, you wire it like any other 48 volt F&R except that you have to add an extra wire to connect the 2 downward pointing bussbar's together.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:36 PM   #8
CDPII
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the info so far. Gotta get some sleep before work but if anyone comes up with something please post up and I will check in tomorrow when I get outta work.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #9
CDPII
Not Yet Wild

Here is the photos of the still connected 48 volt and the yet to be connected 36 volt one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00018-20100703-0847.jpg (77.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00019-20100703-0848.jpg (89.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00017-20100703-0847.jpg (84.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 07-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #10
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ok, you hook the blue wire to the bar near your palm (middle pic) and the white to one of the bars on the left side of the pic. Then get a short piece of 4 gauge and connect the 2 bars on the left together. The 2 wires on the rotor hook up the same way they are hooked up now.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car