lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2007, 12:10 AM   #1
bigred-driver
Gone Wild

Default Big Block Decision????

I'm days away from ordering my big block for my 2000 workhorse. I can't tell you all how pumped up I am. I know I should go for the 23 Vanguard and never look back but when your trying to squeeze the turnip to get the most for your project I start to go crazy. I'm asking for those who have both the 18 and 23 to chime in and give me your experience with your motors and what you like and dislikes about your set up, or what you might have done differently. I plan on using my rig for hunting and general river camp fun. I plan on going with Tom at Dixie for my set up. He has been very helpful on the phone and is always available. Thanks in advance for all your input.

Jimbo
bigred-driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2007, 06:14 AM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: Big Block Decision????

I have the 18 from Tom and love it. The 23 was not available at the time. From what I understand, the 18 is really 20 hp (ask Tom about this). If I was doing it again I think I would just do the 23, the cost difference is not that much. I know you will be happy either way.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:18 AM   #3
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

Oh that's great. You will love it which ever way you decide to go. I got the 16hp V-twin Kawasaki from Tom when he still offered the kit. It's great. It gets almost 40 mph. Like New Guy said, either way, you won't be disappointed.

Send us lots of pics of your install.

Boo
azboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:22 AM   #4
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

I have the 18 from CPP and it's great. It's got awesome power.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:54 AM   #5
todwil
TOD WILD

The more engine the better..!!!
todwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:45 AM   #6
bigred-driver
Gone Wild

I know the saying "there's no replacement for displacement". Do any of you guys and gals have any of the mods installed on your 18's? Just wondering.
Jim
bigred-driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #7
ruredy
Born Wild

Jim, in my most humble opinion the thing thats going to make the difference is how fast your trying to make your cart to run. With either the 18 or the 23 your cart should run the same speed (mph) on flat ground. It's pretty much set in stone, (engine rpm--gearing ratio--tire size), will produce the same results no matter what which of these engines you have.... Now if your wanting to change gears and/or run some ridiculously big tires, the 23 will be better at, getting to and maintaining top speed, especially when going up big long hills. Also I have allways heard that the 23 has hp intakes setups available that the 18 doesn't have, so the 23 is better for modding. I know you would be happy with the 18, (it would take weeks to get the smile off your face) but if you want to get to that next level, i'd go with the 23 and mod it up. You could be blowing away rhino's in your ezgo workhorse
If I ever manage to blow up the engine in my cart, (i'm trying) it will be replaced by a 23 or bigger.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #8
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

"If I ever manage to blow up the engine in my cart, (i'm trying) it will be replaced by a 23 or bigger."

Oh, come on Ruredy. You're just not trying hard enough

Boo
azboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:28 AM   #9
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by azboo View Post
"If I ever manage to blow up the engine in my cart, (i'm trying) it will be replaced by a 23 or bigger."

Oh, come on Ruredy. You're just not trying hard enough

Boo
It is a briggs vanguard, they're like that energizer bunny.... keeps going and going and going........
i'm not going to drain the oil out of it just so it'll blow, but I do tach it till the valves rattle every time I run it
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:31 AM   #10
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred-driver View Post
I know the saying "there's no replacement for displacement". Do any of you guys and gals have any of the mods installed on your 18's? Just wondering.
Jim
I have the rev kit with the timing key and would highly recommend adding
these to either the 18 or 23. I also have a CPP stainless header pipe and am
working on an all new dual exhaust setup.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!