lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
2fastlx
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Converting to 48 volt - charger ?

Hey guys,
Im trying to convert my 97 DS to 48v. The cart is a resistor type I got a set of 48v batts and charger from a friend of mine. The charger is a 48v lester powerdrive with the 3-prong plug. As you probably know, my cart has a 2-prong recepticle. I wired the batts together outside the cart and wired up the receptacle to them and plugged in the charger to see if they would accept a charge, and nothing. I know the gray wire on the back of the 48v receptacle goes to the on board computer so Im assuming that is how the cart tells the charger to shut off. My question is : is there any way to use this charger with my cart without converting the cart to a controller type? Any help would be appreciated as Im trying to figure out all I can about these things.

Thanks, John
2fastlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Converting to 48 volt - charger ?

I don't think the 48 volt Club Car charger will work unless you add the OBC?

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
riverracer
Getting Wild
Club Car

you have to jump the relay to make the charger run. Problem is the charger will not cut off when it is jump out. I Have used mine a few years this way. I bought a timer from home depot and it cut off the charger.
riverracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
wizzardcarts
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

yes you can here,s the deal real cheap to do take cover off charger remove 2 large spade connectors on relay squeez them tight take 20 amp auto fuse install &bypass relay no you have a manuel gassing or equlizing charger as i call them ,cut off power plug & install your old plug here,s the expensive part pick up a cheap wall timer average charge time is 8 hr,s your in luck -if you want to get serious you can pickup a timer for wall 12hr model at home depot & put it were i told ya to put fuse now ya got neat jurrasic park charger like they made in the early 60,s if ya need diagram e-mail me pic of inside of lester ill send pic back with this setup glad to help ya the frazz57@yahoo.com
wizzardcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
bmessing
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverracer View Post
you have to jump the relay to make the charger run. Problem is the charger will not cut off when it is jump out. I Have used mine a few years this way. I bought a timer from home depot and it cut off the charger.
are you jumping out the sensing rely if so which connections are you tying together it looks to be jumped from the factor the green sensing wire from the plug is connected to a red wire that is jumped across the two upper most leads, I can not get the charger to turn on. Help?
bmessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmessing View Post
are you jumping out the sensing rely if so which connections are you tying together it looks to be jumped from the factor the green sensing wire from the plug is connected to a red wire that is jumped across the two upper most leads, I can not get the charger to turn on. Help?
to by pass OCB
DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.…do not attempt unless you are familiar with electricity and electronics!
There are two ways to force the charger to turn on regardless of the OBC.

The first method is to disconnect the cart’s gray wire at the fuse near the charger receptacle. Then using a jumper wire, connect the receptacle side of the fused connector to the cart’s negative battery terminal. This will energize the charger’s 48V relay. If the charger doesn’t come on, it could be bad connections, wiring or charger relay.

The second method is to open the charger and remove the 120V wires from the relay and jump these together. This totally bypasses the relay and the OBC wire.

(If charger comes on but the charger ammeter shows 0 amps, check the fuse at the charging receptacle under the clear plastic cover.)

Both of these methods should both be temporary measures for troubleshooting, or as an emergency method of charging the batteries when they have been discharged so far that the OBC will not charge them.

The OBC provides the optimum method of charging the cart’s batteries. If the OBC is bad, it should be replaced
Old 09-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
bmessing
Not Yet Wild

your tying the two wires together or jumping the contacts on the relay
bmessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
crash test dummy

jumping the contacts
Old 09-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

You can buy an external timer that can be used instead of the obc. By the time I priced everything out it was more cost effective just to buy a new smart charger. I would imagine it is much better for the batteries as well.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
You can buy an external timer that can be used instead of the obc. By the time I priced everything out it was more cost effective just to buy a new smart charger. I would imagine it is much better for the batteries as well.
Yep I agree, with a timer you don't know if the batteries are getting a full charge or being overcharged. With the OBC system or a DPI charger, you know the batteries are getting exactly what they need.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car