lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2022, 03:54 PM   #1
expoman55
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default ccp 48V MOTOR AND CONTROLLER

Evening Fellow buggerers .... I have an 06 CCP and am having some issues of shutting down.

How do I tell if this is a standard controller for this buggy? The motor says Commander on it and also has standard part numbers for CCP on it.. SO I am not sure whats going on but I think the guy before me may have put an upgraded motor in a buggy with a standard controller.

My buggy is going in to a shutdown after about 4 miles max medium throttle it then just crawls.. If I leave it a lone for 15-20 minutes it will run again.

I am thinking my controller or motor or both are frogged... May a good excuse to buy A/C @ LOL
expoman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2022, 08:16 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: ccp 48V MOTOR AND CONTROLLER

Can you post some pictures of the motor and controller?
The controller should be in between the batteries on that year, but if someone has moved it it's likely they replaced it with an upgraded or aftermarket controller.

It sounds like the controller may be overheating, which will happen when running part throttle with a non-stock motor. Part throttle uses more current and creates more heat in the controller and motor.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 04:28 PM   #3
expoman55
Getting Wild
Club Car

here are a few pics. I think you are right in that the motor or the controller is giving up for a while then coming back online. Its strange but may make sense if they arent set up for correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3184.jpg (122.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3185.jpg (141.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3191.jpg (80.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1560.jpg (164.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3190.jpg (98.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-01-2022, 05:24 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Problem is probably the high speed motor is pulling too many amps for the controller.
It will probably run fine at speed for as long as you want, but running a high speed motor at low speed causes a much higher than normal amp draw.

You could upgrade the controller, but I'd be more inclined to ditch the speed motor in favor of a more stock type or moderate torque style motor if you intend to drive the cart slowly most of the time.

Any controller upgrade will also require you to replace the batteries. Those will not keep up with the power demand from a higher power controller, and likely will not handle an AC kit either.
Old 11-01-2022, 09:35 PM   #5
expoman55
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks Fairtax. I do believe the problem is the controller shutting down after getting hot. after running about 1/2 pedal for about 4 miles it will go into shut down. I rhink as you said I need find a stock motor. fyi those batteries are 3 new Allied 30 AH 48v LiPo packs. the 4rthblue battery with red converter is an empty allied case with a 12v LiPo pack for accessories like extra lights and music phones etc. It those packs run 53.1v which is perfect for LiPo. I don't think the batteries are the issue.
Old 11-02-2022, 09:55 AM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You can search the lithium sub-forum here and read all about the problems associated with the Allied brand batteries. They have had issues in the past, especially when run in series.
A stock motor should be fine for that setup IMO.
Old 11-02-2022, 05:04 PM   #7
expoman55
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks i did see that in that forum but that was primarily the 12v in series cutting out. I think I got in after most of those issues and mine are 48v in parallel. In hind sight LOL.. but yea I athink I am going to pull the trigger on the new stock motor as I think that high speed motor pulls too much current for the stock controller. I added a different thread considering what if I upgraded both motor and controller.. so decisions decisions LOL.. I am of the opinion not to add issues I don't need either almost LOL.
Old 11-02-2022, 09:11 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The batteries are fine. The allied battery issues were people buying 4x12v batteries and running in series. The 48v batteries in parallel do not have these problems.

I wouldn’t be so quick to condemn the motor. I have never heard of a commander but with a quick search what I’m able to assume is it’s a rewound/rebuilt oem CC motor (similar to a plum quick bandit). That aside, I’m running a 10hp admiral motor on a stock controller with zero issues regardless of the throttle running slow or fast. We just drove several miles on Halloween never exceeding 5mph and no problems. I’ve pulled the lawn sweeper picking up leaves in my yard for an hour straight (sorta like a small trailer I guess you could say, at 5mph or less) and had no shutdown issues with my setup.

What I DO see, however, that’s always a red flag in my eyes is that “remanufactured” label on your controller. When these companies “remanufacture” a controller they don’t really rebuild it from ground up. They replace whatever blew up the first time it died, slap on a label, and call her good. The rest of the components in that controller are likely untouched and original pre-first blowup.

Do you have a shunt type meter on your cart? If not get one. I have a renogy, I like it because it gives a lot of information. They’re about 80 bucks on Amazon. There’s cheaper ones as well. But ultimately with lithium it’s impossible to estimate State of charge based on voltage. The little meter allied gives you is worthless. The benefit of the renogy is not only state of charge, but also that it displays current amperage usage which is handy.

Regardless I would suspect the rebuilt controller over the motor or the motor being bad match for the stock controller. FSIP has been hit or miss with their rebuilt controllers over the years…
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 09:58 PM   #9
expoman55
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thx CP Indeed the commander from what I can ascertain also from searches is a rewound CCP motor. Seems it was at one time 'according to the web' a decent motor. I didnt like the whole reman controller so perhaps better bucks spent on controller for sure and start there.. thats a much easier swap out too LOL.

thanks appreciate you jumping in.
Old 11-02-2022, 10:01 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If you upgrade the controller with an alltrax or something, I wouldn’t get more than a 300 amp with the lithium. You won’t need the extra juice and in all likelihood you’d have to turn a bigger controller down anyways to avoid tripping the BMS on a heavy start or large hill.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car