lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2020, 10:37 AM   #1
nnmsgst
Gone Wild

Default Please Help: Trouble with Express L6 - less than 1 year old

All,

I need help. I have a 2018 (I think) Express L6 that I purchased last spring. This past fall I had Bob Boyce work on the controller - to the tune of significant performance upgrades... I'm HOPING that isn't related to my problem below, but really need some advice:

In THIS THREAD I detailed an issue where my lights would go out upon pressing the accelerator after only 20-25 mins pulling my kids around the yard on a sled in the snow. The issue was blamed on the cold temperatures and that draining the batteries quickly. I'm afraid the issue is different than that:

Last week the temps were in the mid 40's - not cold - and my cart is stored in a heated (60 degree) shop at all times. This means that the batteries start at at least 60 degrees (they're coming off the charger) and shouldn't get really cool in 40 degree weather - especially only being outside for 25-30 mins...

In these 45 degree temps, on snowy FLAT ground, I pulled 4 small kids in a sled just under 2.0 miles before I noticed the power dropping off significantly. Once I noticed this, I had the kids get on the cart, and at a snails pace (getting off the cart just go it could go up a hill) drove about 1.5 miles back toward my house before I had to ultimately tow the cart home.

Upon returning home, I intentionally didn't connect the charger to the cart. I figured I'd post here first to see if anyone had advice or wanted me to check anything.

4 miles range at in 45 degree temps coming off batteries that were warm is not normal. What can/should I do to pinpoint the issue? Noting that this cart is less than 1 year old, and should still be warrantied.

Please help.

Thanks
nnmsgst is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2020, 11:13 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Please Help: Trouble with Express L6 - less than 1 year old

Check the voltage of the pack. You might have a bad battery.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:03 PM   #3
nnmsgst
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Check the voltage of the pack. You might have a bad battery.
After fully charged, I'm assuming? For a 72 v, what should it be?
Old 02-15-2020, 10:38 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Pack should be roughly 76 just coming off a full charge. You need to hook up a meter to the pack while driving and see what it drops to. Even better try to connect it to one battery at a time.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:38 PM   #5
nnmsgst
Gone Wild

Thanks. Is there a chance this has anything to do with the controller work from Bob?
Old 02-15-2020, 06:49 PM   #6
rib33024

There is no way tuning your controller has anything to do with your batteries dying in two miles. Did you do the battery load test like kgsc asked?. If you will do the load test on the batteries, that will answer a lot. You say the cart is less than a year old. You say the cart is a 2018 and this is 2020? You said you had Bob tune the cart last fall?? what date was that. Has the cart been running fine since Bob tunes it ? until now? when did it start dying? After a full charge , and 12 hours off the charger and cart not touched the battery pack should read 76.44 for a full 100% charge

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:10 PM   #7
nnmsgst
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
There is no way tuning your controller has anything to do with your batteries dying in two miles. Did you do the battery load test like kgsc asked?. If you will do the load test on the batteries, that will answer a lot. You say the cart is less than a year old. You say the cart is a 2018 and this is 2020? You said you had Bob tune the cart last fall?? what date was that. Has the cart been running fine since Bob tunes it ? until now? when did it start dying? After a full charge , and 12 hours off the charger and cart not touched the battery pack should read 76.44 for a full 100% charge

I'm glad to hear that the controller will not disrupt battery longevity.

I'm not sure if mine is a 2019 or 2018 - I bought it new in April. Bob tuned it in late October if I recall. I've got it charging overnight tonight.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO