lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2019, 12:11 PM   #1
rjwenter
Getting Wild

Default Vegas 625 fuel delivery problem

Hello folks,

You may remember I recently installed the VC625 in my 2001 TXT. Well, it was running well until the other day. It just quit running as I was driving. It seemed that I had a fuel delivery problem as the suction line from the tank to the fuel pump was empty.

I checked to make sure there was no obstruction in the tank. If I blow into the line fuel flows freely through the line.

I checked the pulse line. Seems to me to be a pretty good pulse of air coming through, but I'm not really sure how to judge that. I can feel the pulse well is all I can say.

So I purchased another fuel pump. I installed the pump and it is just not pulling fuel from the tank. I tried priming it by blowing into the tube and attaching it to the pump, but the fuel just runs out when I crank it.

I changed all the fuel lines. Everything seems to be tight fitting. Short of installing an electric pump I am out of ideas. If one of you guys could please help me I would greatly appreciate it. As you can remember from my previous posts I really wanted this cart to be running for Halloween...and now I'm running out of time. Thanks in advance guys.
rjwenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2019, 12:14 PM   #2
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Vegas 625 fuel delivery problem

We also had to put a electric fuel pump on our Vegas 625 & a bigger muffler.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #3
superpro56
Gone Wild
Club Car

Do you have a return line installed and is your fuel line clear so you can see it while turning over? Also, check the pulse line for oil. If oil is getting up into the fuel pump it can foul them out. I havent had any issues with fuel supply on mine using a genuine Walbro fuel pump.

https://www.eccarburetors.com/FPC-1-...tyle_p_15.html
superpro56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:55 PM   #4
rjwenter
Getting Wild

Yes I do have the clear fuel line that's how I can see that it's not pulling from the tank. The pulse line did not have any oil in it however I changed it anyway. Geoff at Vegas seems to think my problem may be a hole in the tube that feeds from the tank. Any opinions on that? Any easy way I can test that?
Old 10-24-2019, 02:54 PM   #5
rjwenter
Getting Wild

Superpro56. That fuel pump is out of stock. Is this the same pump on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Just wondering if I should try it. My siphon tube looks ok to me. I just don't know.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:16 PM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

That is one of the pumps that Russell at NRracing recommends
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:23 PM   #7
rjwenter
Getting Wild

General question - is there anything with the carb I should be checking out? Could something with the carb cause my fuel flow problem?

I guess the oddest thing is that the cart died while I was driving it. The setup now has 22 hours on it. I feel like if I was having a problem with my fuel lines / siphon tube or something related to that the cart wouldn't have died mid drive on me. It just wouldn't have held fuel and given me a problem the next time I tried to start it. Is my logic flawed? Thank you in advance for your patience :)

I just ordered that pump for the heck of it...
Old 10-24-2019, 08:36 PM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I did have a problem at one time where some plastic trash partially blocked my siphon line. That caused the fuel filter to run dry on a high speed run. I then added a snowmobile fuel tank pickup fitting screen as an extra measure of fuel system reliability. I used a polaris part # 7052037/7052081 from Dennis Kirk. It was $3.50 or so. The system itself is easily checked by unhooking the fuel line off the carb, aiming it into a suitable container and crank the engine. It should be spurting out a lot of volume. If it doesn't you know there is a fuel delivery issue.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:14 AM   #9
rjwenter
Getting Wild

Thanks Ray. After getting home last night I had more time and I have isolated the problem to the carburetor. As it is relatively new I was ignoring it before and assuming the fuel pump was the culprit as it was about 9 months old.

The new fuel pump is working perfectly. I disconnected carb line from the pump as you suggested and was able to fill a glass with fuel. It is pulling fuel from the tank without issue and delivering fuel without any issues.

The fuel is not going through the carburetor. I tried tapping on the bowl while turning the engine over, but I did not dislodge anything (if there was any debris to dislodge). I attached another fuel line and blew fuel into the carb and was able to start the engine for a couple of seconds. I was also able to start the engine by spraying starter fluid into the intake of the air cleaner. For whatever reason the fuel is not making it through the carburetor to the motor.

In any event I will remove the carb to see if cleaning it will help, but is it more likely something is wrong with the carb itself? I am only driving this cart on paved, flat roads down in my neighborhood. Considering the filter is new I really don't know how any debris of significance would have made it to the carb to clog it. I am also only running ethanol free fuel with hopes of not gumming up the fuel system.

I asked if Vegas would send me a new carb, but they said no and that carbs don't "just break". Is that true?

I'd like to order another carb, but not the same one. Is there any other better carb that you guys know of that I can replace the stock one with? If I can order it on Amazon Prime I can get it quickly. Thanks as always to everyone for your input.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:15 AM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

More likely there is trash in the float bowl than anything else. These are very simple carbs with just the float,spring, float valve itself and the jets. Not much to go wrong other than trash causing an issue. Remember these golf cart tanks are plastic and seem to shed some elements over time and not to mention how many of us clean all around the fill port when refueling ? If you are really intent on a new carb Russell Thompson at NRracing sells a whole lone of clone and original honda modified for top performance. All those would be a straight bolt in. Up the scale would be a mikuni unit but that requires fabbing up some linkage.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!