lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2019, 06:13 PM   #1
chuckynorris
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Spindle replacement or upgrade?

Back story:
I took my cart to a local place for a tune up.
While there I asked them to assist the suspension. I believe they backed out done bolts which resulted in my passenger tire tie rod coming off. That was a relatively easy fix in that I just bolted it back down. But after that I thought I noticed the driver side tire was slanting inward and a few days later the spindle of that tire (after a bit of a rough ride) completely sheared off.... Which I think may have been stressed when the passenger side failed.

Help request:
I bought the cart used so I have no idea on the suspension/kit that was used... Or if it's all custom welded... But I'd like to either replace both sides spindle assembly and possible hubs or upgrade them to a thicker spindle and hub.

Anyway... There are no stamped markings on the spindle that I can see. I need to purchase a splined lug to get the hub off the rim.. So I'll do that and hopefully find some markings on the hub. But until then... Can anyone identify this spindle or recommend a similar or beefier replacement option that would fit up similarly to my setup?

Happy to send/post additional photos.
Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chuckynorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Spindle replacement or upgrade?

What kind of cart?

It looks like at least the anti sway bar is fabricated

I can't tell by the photos, but it looks similar to a Jakes LT lift. Can you get more pics of the other parts of the lift?

Usually the spindles are re-used, meaning, you use your stock spindles with the lift kits. Check online to see if that spindle is available for your cart and compare to see if it looks the same. It might be a stock part for your cart.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:38 PM   #3
chuckynorris
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Spindle replacement or upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
What kind of cart?

It looks like at least the anti sway bar is fabricated

I can't tell by the photos, but it looks similar to a Jakes LT lift. Can you get more pics of the other parts of the lift?

Usually the spindles are re-used, meaning, you use your stock spindles with the lift kits. Check online to see if that spindle is available for your cart and compare to see if it looks the same. It might be a stock part for your cart.

Well the anti sway bar is another story...
It looks like it's some type of "standard" swat bar that broke at some point.. And then to repair it a tube was welded around the broken point of the sway bar... And one of those welds has broke.
First priority for me is the spindle... But if I can find a replacement anti sway bar in the process, I'll replace that as well.

Not much of this cart is original... But it's a club car... So I'll start my search there.

This geometry looks similar... Although I can't confirm the dimensions
3G Driver Side Spindle for Club Car DS Golf Carts (2004+) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SZBC8E2..._dm7SDbHFKGDM6

Old 10-25-2019, 09:50 PM   #4
chuckynorris
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

More photos of the suspension

Thanks for the reply... Honestly just telling me that they are likely stock was more helpful than you'd think... As I didn't assume that and have been randomly searching spindles online.

Old 10-26-2019, 05:09 PM   #5
chuckynorris
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Can anyone tell me the diameter of the pre 2003 spindle.

The one I've extracted from the hub is 19mm (just under 3/4")...
I'd just like to confirm that it is indeed the original stock 1999 part.

The replacement could be this...
3G Spindle- Driver Side for Club Car DS Golf Carts 1981-2003 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073PBM193..._HomTDbSRZHQFX

Although the "arm" on this looks longer than what is on my cart.

While I'm asking...
The anti sway bar is ~36"... Anyone know where I can get a replacement bar?

Old 10-27-2019, 08:53 AM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Geez... I'm not sure how to tell you this... (nobody in their right mind would mess with Chuck Norris! )

All lift kits come with their own manufactured spindles. (only the stock wheel hubs are reused.)
So, a stock Club Car spindle won't work with what you have.

And... what I think you have is a Terra Toys lift kit, and Terra Toys is out of business!
(it's really too bad, TT lifts were the top of the line some 15 years ago!)

You could try to find a REALLY GOOD welder and try to reweld the spindle back on? Or... get a new lift kit!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news.

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #7
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Agree. I wouldn't use the broken spindle though, get or make a new one. Cutting off the old stub and welding a new spindle is not that difficult as long as you measure and draw a template of the angles involved BEFORE you cut the old one off.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #8
chuckynorris
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
Agree. I wouldn't use the broken spindle though, get or make a new one. Cutting off the old stub and welding a new spindle is not that difficult as long as you measure and draw a template of the angles involved BEFORE you cut the old one off.

Welding is outside of my skill set.. But I could take it to a local shop.
Are you suggesting I keep the broken unit I have, and weld on a "new" spindle rod...

The "old sub" has already been sheared off...

I assume you're saying buy a new spindle... And then cut the threaded stub off the new one and weld it onto the existing directly to the collar.

Old 10-27-2019, 04:33 PM   #9
chuckynorris
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
Geez... I'm not sure how to tell you this... (nobody in their right mind would mess with Chuck Norris! )

All lift kits come with their own manufactured spindles. (only the stock wheel hubs are reused.)
So, a stock Club Car spindle won't work with what you have.

And... what I think you have is a Terra Toys lift kit, and Terra Toys is out of business!
(it's really too bad, TT lifts were the top of the line some 15 years ago!)

You could try to find a REALLY GOOD welder and try to reweld the spindle back on? Or... get a new lift kit!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news.

I appreciate the insight...
The custom cart place by my house isn't capable of this... Any suggestions of the type of shop I should look for to work with me to fabricate?

Old 10-27-2019, 06:23 PM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

What Dundee was saying is to cut the whole part of the horizontal portion of the spindle from the vertical kingpin mount from the stock CC spindle, and reweld it to your existing vertical kingpin assembly.
I know of someone that works at a shop in Ohio that may be able to take care of that for you, but I have to ask him first!

I'll send him a note, no guarantees that he can, or will...
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts