lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2019, 09:44 AM   #1
slowride77
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default 1999 G16 Smoking and using oil

First post, sorry if i am missing something.

I have a 99 G16 that i recently bought and have been working on to get it running better. It ran when i bought it, but both clutches were trash among some other some things, and i found out this isnt the original engine. Numbers dont match.

My last problem to tackle that is really driving me nuts is that it smokes at start up and every time you really get into the gas. Just a single white puff, kind of large, then it clears up after you get going. After reading a lot of posts on this forum, i have checked the compression, oil in the airbox, the breather tube from the valve cover and spark plug.

Compression was 175 psi, there was/is a slight oily film in the smaller airbox chamber, but no standing oil, just a residue, it is oil though. The breather tube is clear and free. The spark plug was old and i changed it to the correct ngk, had a ac delco in it. After changing the plug, i drove it around like 20 minutes and check the plug again. it was completely black and charred. Not oily, but black and covered in dark deposit. The oil was down about half the dipstick (6 oz) after the long drive.

SO, i haven't changed the oil yet because the guy before me had changed it. Now i read on here that the dipstick could be wrong (its not lifted). But to note, i did fill the oil to the top of the range on the dipstick and it did smoke more the next time i drove it. I also read about BBQ the muffler, which i havent done.

I just dont know where to start to attack and i dont want to do something that isnt needed, for time sake. PLease help! THanks!

Last edited by slowride77; 09-15-2019 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: more info
slowride77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2019, 09:51 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 1999 G16 Smoking and using oil

I would start by changing the oil. Ignore the dipstick, it takes EXACTLY 1 quart. Any more and it is overfilled and can cause it to smoke.

Start with that before digging any deeper.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:40 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Use an oil with zinc and phosphorus in it, or use an additive. 15w30 Rotella is what I use, it has what you need in an oil.

Take your carb off and clean it really well. Use a good carb spray with the straw and shoot each and every jet and passageway both directions if possible.

If the air filter is oily replace it. A plugged air filter will cause a rich condition and your black sooty plug.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #4
slowride77
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post

Use an oil with zinc and phosphorus in it, or use an additive. 15w30 Rotella is what I use, it has what you need in an oil.

Take your carb off and clean it really well. Use a good carb spray with the straw and shoot each and every jet and passageway both directions if possible.

If the air filter is oily replace it. A plugged air filter will cause a rich condition and your black sooty plug.

Forgot to mention, I changed the air filter when I changed the spark plug so it is new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2019, 06:50 PM   #5
slowride77
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I would start by changing the oil. Ignore the dipstick, it takes EXACTLY 1 quart. Any more and it is overfilled and can cause it to smoke.

Start with that before digging any deeper.

So I changed the oil and poured in the one quart. Can up about 3/4 the way on the dipstick. So I now know the “full” mark. I also changed the spark plug again just to give it a fresh start. Still smoked at startup. Drove it hard for 30 mins and it was hot! Still smokes a little when you take off and/or get into the gas.

I think next step I’m going to remove the muffler and see if it smokes out the exhaust port. That would narrow down the muffler as the cause. The muffler is old and original so I suppose it could be the cause. We’ll see.

Thanks for the replies. Keep me coming. I’m open to trying the easy or obvious stuff before I have to tear into the engine.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:32 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Smoke from a muffler is generally only an issue on a machine that has been smoking/burning oil for a very long time. Especially on a 4 cycle motor. I doubt your exhaust is the source. 2 stroke motors are common for that, because they're constantly burning oil. Over the years a littlenunburnt oil turns into a lot of buildup in the muffler.

4 cycle engines are a lot cleaner because the oil doesnt (shouldn't anyway) come into direct contact with the combustion. Valve seals are possible, theyll make it smoke on a first start. And if.youre driving and let off the pedal to coast to a stop, itll blow a puff when you first start going again. But if it's smoking AS you're burning the throttle, its 99% going to be oil control rings sticking.

You can try a bottle of motor flush, pour some in, drive it around the yard lightly for about 10 minutes then immediately change the oil. If the rings are marginally stuck by sludge, it may help. But may do nothing except make your 1 day old oil you just put in look like it's never been changed before. I've loosened some NASTY stuff before. Always ended up having to rebuild the motor because by the time I got it, it was.too far gone. But cant hurt to try.

This is the stuff I have used. It's cheap, around $5 or so st Walmart. Worst case it doesnt work and you still have to tear into the engine. Niteo Motor Medic MF3 5-Minute Motor Flush - 32 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AME4V4..._jDTFDb4N2QTQZ
Old 09-15-2019, 08:13 PM   #7
slowride77
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Smoke from a muffler is generally only an issue on a machine that has been smoking/burning oil for a very long time. Especially on a 4 cycle motor. I doubt your exhaust is the source. 2 stroke motors are common for that, because they're constantly burning oil. Over the years a littlenunburnt oil turns into a lot of buildup in the muffler.

4 cycle engines are a lot cleaner because the oil doesnt (shouldn't anyway) come into direct contact with the combustion. Valve seals are possible, theyll make it smoke on a first start. And if.youre driving and let off the pedal to coast to a stop, itll blow a puff when you first start going again. But if it's smoking AS you're burning the throttle, its 99% going to be oil control rings sticking.

You can try a bottle of motor flush, pour some in, drive it around the yard lightly for about 10 minutes then immediately change the oil. If the rings are marginally stuck by sludge, it may help. But may do nothing except make your 1 day old oil you just put in look like it's never been changed before. I've loosened some NASTY stuff before. Always ended up having to rebuild the motor because by the time I got it, it was.too far gone. But cant hurt to try.

This is the stuff I have used. It's cheap, around $5 or so st Walmart. Worst case it doesnt work and you still have to tear into the engine. Niteo Motor Medic MF3 5-Minute Motor Flush - 32 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AME4V4..._jDTFDb4N2QTQZ

Might be the valve seals. That is exactly what it is doing. Smoke at start up and a puff as I let off the pedal to stop. Either way. Engine has to be pulled more than likely from what I am hearing. Thanks.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:05 AM   #8
jparker000
Not Yet Wild

I bought a G9 at an auction held at a shop that did a lot of golf cart work. They had written "Motor Shot" on windshield so it went cheap. Fired right up and ran fine as I drove it on my trailer. Lots of pep but a ton of smoke. Pulled the hose from the oil bath filter to the carb - oily inside. Ran it without those attached - zero smoke. Obviously sucking oil into intake. Worth looking at.

Sent from my SM-J327W using Tapatalk
jparker000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:44 AM   #9
slowride77
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker000 View Post
I bought a G9 at an auction held at a shop that did a lot of golf cart work. They had written "Motor Shot" on windshield so it went cheap. Fired right up and ran fine as I drove it on my trailer. Lots of pep but a ton of smoke. Pulled the hose from the oil bath filter to the carb - oily inside. Ran it without those attached - zero smoke. Obviously sucking oil into intake. Worth looking at.

Sent from my SM-J327W using Tapatalk

Great. Thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look at that. Really appreciate all the help on here!

Old 09-16-2019, 09:41 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

These motors will run pretty much forever, smoking like a train, as long as you keep oil in them. It's when you forget to check, and it runs low that bad things happen, but as long as you keep oil in it, it will keep chugging along like nothing is wrong. Before I rebuilt my G9, it smoked like crazy. It would completely fill my yard with smoke (my "yard" is approx 3-4 acres that I keep mowed) but still had textbook perfect compression. And didn't have any issues with mosquitos when I stopped either
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha