lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2019, 05:08 PM   #1
Tpsfoto
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Ezgo Powerwise charger issue

Hi.
do you guys know if the diode resistors are suppose to pass current...I thought that when you have a good one and put a meter on either side there should be no power through.....but I bought two of the new style diodes and did the test with the charger unplugged and put my meter on Ohms, placed one lead on one side and put the other on the metal and the needle jumped.
Prior to putting in the new parts....my charger blew the 50 amp fuse, which I changed and I did the two diodes.....usually there are the culprit for blowing fuses.
The charger is now working.....but I hope the new diodes won't blow it again.
Attached is what I bought.

Thanks
Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2040.JPG (31.8 KB, 0 views)
Tpsfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2019, 06:19 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo Powerwise charger issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpsfoto View Post
Hi.
do you guys know if the diode resistors are suppose to pass current...I thought that when you have a good one and put a meter on either side there should be no power through.....but I bought two of the new style diodes and did the test with the charger unplugged and put my meter on Ohms, placed one lead on one side and put the other on the metal and the needle jumped.
Prior to putting in the new parts....my charger blew the 50 amp fuse, which I changed and I did the two diodes.....usually there are the culprit for blowing fuses.
The charger is now working.....but I hope the new diodes won't blow it again.
Attached is what I bought.

Thanks
Larry
No such thing as a diode resistor. Diodes pass current in one direction, but not the other; While resistors pass current in both directions, but place resistance in the current path.

Ideally, when an Ohmmeter's test leads are place across a diode, it will read an open in one direction and short in the other.

Nice to hear you fixed your own charger.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:37 PM   #3
Tpsfoto
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the quick reply....funny thing the EBay auction said resistor diode and fuse.......shows you what they know
Tpsfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpsfoto View Post
Thanks for the quick reply....funny thing the EBay auction said resistor diode and fuse.......shows you what they know
Exactly. You have to know exactly what you need to shop on eBay successfully. eBay survives on unwary buyers.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:00 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Also, the blown fuse is a direct result of one of the old diodes being failed. With a bad diode, the circuit is reversed (short circuit) 50% of the time, since the transformer output is AC, when the batteries need DC.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO