lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2019, 10:56 AM   #1
Vicamen
Not Yet Wild

Default HF gravity sandblaster

My cart required sandblasting to remove the rust and scale build up. I purchased the HF gravity gun because it had pretty good reviews. I used #70 grit media and the results were dismal. I had to have the choke all the way open and hold the nozzle of the gun right up to a flaking piece of paint in order to remove it. When the choke is full open (didn’t seem to work in any other mode) the gun would empty in about a minute. I had better success using my pressure washer. Needless to say, I don’t recommend the HF gravity sand blaster gun for de-scaling your golf cart.
Vicamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2019, 11:08 AM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: HF gravity sandblaster

what compressor are you using ? what air pressure do you have?. you need a lot of air pressure to sand blast
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:48 PM   #3
Vicamen
Not Yet Wild

Yes, I know. I was a resident inspector for shipbuilding and repair. I suspected it wouldn’t work well when the directions stated not to exceed 90 psi. I was hoping it would have some use for me as a hobbyist; not hard core de-scaling like on a barge or ships hull. Regardless, even as a hobbyist this gravity gun was equal to being useless.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:43 PM   #4
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicamen View Post
Yes, I know. I was a resident inspector for shipbuilding and repair. I suspected it wouldn’t work well when the directions stated not to exceed 90 psi. I was hoping it would have some use for me as a hobbyist; not hard core de-scaling like on a barge or ships hull. Regardless, even as a hobbyist this gravity gun was equal to being useless.
I have something very similar from Snap on and if you didn't regulate the air down to about 50 psi it wouldn't work. I used it for cleaning welds and with fine sand work well. I will say it's way to small for doing a cart frame.
This one is very small but would do a cart frame - no problem. To much air pressure can be just as bad as not enough. Start low and work your way up on the pressure regulator till it starts to not work properly

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-lbs...ter-68994.html
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:42 PM   #5
Vicamen
Not Yet Wild

Thank you, Shepard, for the recommendation. Since the cart needs a lot more de-scaling I think I will follow-up on your recommendation. I’ll post my results with some pictures.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:52 PM   #6
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Sandblasting requires ALOT of air (Volume). As asked earlier what compressor are you running even those little Sandblaster’s usually want 9-10 cfm at like 90 psi.
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #7
Vicamen
Not Yet Wild

I’m using a Kobalt electric air compressor mawp 125. I bought a 20 lb sand blaster pressure vessel and had it all together and the last fitting wouldn’t thread into the bottom of the pv. I took it apart and brought it back to HF to swap it for a new one. Same thing happened on this one but I’ve got a few turns on it plus Teflon tape. Im going to give it a try. I’ll post my results and, hopefully, this new system will work good.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:10 PM   #8
Vicamen
Not Yet Wild

Correction: my air compressor is a 125 psi electric motor and 20 gallon air receiver by Campbell Hausfeld. The lacking psi was my fault. I corrected it by doing some repair on the tank bottom moisture drain. We were only getting 40 psi which, as expected, did nothing. I also went to HF to get a few additional accessories to the compressor like a regulator, dryer, and one other thing that escapes me. It build up over 90 psi and we were just starting to rock and roll when we ran out of media. So, tomorrow’s a new day.

I decided to use my generator for the electric motor on the compressor. Give it a little exercise. The generator performed awesome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 447B4FAD-39E3-473C-ACAE-BC0DB1BDD40E.jpg (317.2 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop