lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2019, 06:12 PM   #1
Vulcaneer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Driving vibration RXV at speed

A serious vibration. Very much like out of balance wheels. It is rhythmic, and rotational. Not under acceleration or deceleration. But while feathering the throttle at 1/2 to 3/4 speed. When it does this there is also a clattering sound, coming from the area of the motor. Don’t know if that is related. Cart is in Freedom mode at 19.5 MPH Max.

This cart is a 2019. While it was claimed to be new by one sales person, another reported it as used. Although in like new condition. Sales receipt declares it as used, with used warranty. Couple of thousand below new price. I’m thinking a demonstrator or repo. Based on the dirt and sludge under the body work and hubcaps. I do have a 1 year warranty. But if it is something simple, I would prefer to repair myself.

Any ideas?
Vulcaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2019, 06:40 PM   #2
Vulcaneer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Driving vibration RXV at speed

Also, based on the claims by the dealer, we put down a deposit, sight unseen. Dealer had the cart shipped in from there other store (100 miles away), and installed accessories we ordered. When work was completed we went to pick it up.

Really didn’t drive it other than a short test drive. Once we got it home today, we discovered the vibration. Dealer did a poor job of prepping the cart. Tires were under inflated between 14 and 16 PSI. Cart was filthy under the body. Wheels were filthy under the hub caps. Valve stems were hidden under hub caps. Top was covered with greasy finger prints.

None of that is a big deal...but shows the cart was not checked over or prepped very well by the dealers.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:08 AM   #3
oldnavycdr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

While this may be something simple such as caked mud on a hub the fact that the cart was poorly set up to begin with suggests you should return it to the dealer and have them address the issues -- all the issues. The dealer needs to own this and be called on them lest you get blown off later. If you try to fix yourself at this point then you own the problems. I'm sure it is a hassle to return the cart but I think you would be wise to do so.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:46 AM   #4
Vulcaneer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

This is the only issue. Everything else can be handled by hose and water. In fact, already has been.

For this bouncing issue, I plan on doing a string alignment, after rotating the tires. If that doesn’t take care of the issue, it will go back for sure.

A visual look seems to indicate the front tires may be toe’d out a bit. But will be measured to make sure. If anything, it should be toe’d in a bit.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:55 AM   #5
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You can also jack up cart and spin wheels by hand to check for bent rim,flat spot on tire from sitting under inflated,ect.
When I first got my cart had similar problem that turned out to be a tire with flat spot.
After driving few miles with tire slightly over inflated flat spot went away.😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:26 PM   #6
Vulcaneer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Good thought. Thank you.

I did inflate the tires to 22 pounds, a few days ago. Have driven a few miles since. It has been very hot here. About 100 degrees during days. So far nothing has helped the shake.

Have jacked and spun tires. All seem straight and true. Even after cross rotating, still shaking when cruising. Not at accel/deccel. Only while cruising. Sure seems like a tire balance issue. Taking to dealer on Tues, for eval...and hopefully tire balance.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:41 PM   #7
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

If these are stock tires, you can forget about ever getting that 'Cadillac cushy ride' 1) it's a golf cart, 2) the tires that come on golf carts not only say 'not for highway use' for a reason, but are designed for turf and rough terrain found on golf courses.

If you want real improvement, you have to spend money on DOT rated road tires, often the ones with custom rims that are a bit expensive.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:55 PM   #8
Vulcaneer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Funny you say that. While you are probably “technically” correct, I am not new to community travel golf carts. My other cart is a 2014 Yamaha Drive that we bought new. Stock tires that perform quite smoothly on the road. My neighbor has a 2013 RXV with stock tires that run very smoothly on the road. As do many others in our development.

I don’t believe DOT tires are a pre-requisite for smooth running on the street. And I suspect a DOT out of balance tire, probably isn’t all that smooth running either.

My shaking problem may be related to a bad tire or balance issue. But certainly is not normal to usual examples of good ride quality. And...of course...this problem could very well be related to some other loose or out of balance component, as well.

I do however, appreciate your reminder that I may need to reset my expectation for stock tires.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #9
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

If your Yamaha Drive has the stock 10" tires those are often DOT tires anyway.

The 8" golf car tires, be them Kenda Hole-in-ones or Carlisles, are not ever going to be true. With RXVs, the vibration is par for the course, pardon the pun. They all have varying levels of it. One might be perfect, the next shakier than an '78 Cheyenne with two bad shocks.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:44 PM   #10
Vulcaneer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

At the dealer for warranty work. Tech took a short ride and took it into the shop. Replacing all wheels and new tires. Also replacing differential bearings to remedy the clattering noises. Will be there for a few days due to a need to order the bearings from Oklahoma.

I just wonder though...How in the world a 6 month old cart needs diff bearings replaced? I don’t know what anyone can do to destroy diff bearings in 6 months. Unless they ran the diff dry. But I doubt that happened.

Then on the other hand...this is what the dealer is doing. But not known if that will really solve the problems. Hopefully, it will.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO