lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #1
raggdoll
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default zip tie mod

So I did this on my 03 DS, works as described.

However, the rev limiter kick in once you get up there. Anyway to get around that? I'd like to control my speed with my foot, like how I drive everything
raggdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: zip tie mod

The rev limiter is keeping your engine from coming apart. It is located below the valve cover, it's gold bracket. There's a brown wire with an eyelet going through one of the 10mm bolts. disconnect that and insulate it so it can't touch metal and it is bypassed.

Do not do this without a good tachometer installed. Keep it under 3800rpm or so, or you will be buying a new motor in the near future. Valve float could be a problem, but the countebalance weight is a bigger problem as it tends to come apart and open a nice sized window in the back of the motor. I have what's left of a FE290 in the scrap metal pile now from a DS I bought...

I would recommend just loosening the zip ties a bit so the rev limiter does not come into play. It takes a while to get just the right balance so you can get max speed without hitting rev cut, but once you get there that's all you're going to get. best to just live withit. if you want more speed, get gears.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:03 AM   #3
raggdoll
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks! I'm going to try it.

Im 60, been around speed toys all my life, the last 20 years with modded Vettes. I'd rarely hit the limiter as I paid attention to my shifts and engine sound. So I'm confident Ill know when over revving and when to let off...

That being said, who has done this mod ( zip tie + bypass rev limiter) and were you happy with the results? What top end speed did you safely attain?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 07-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #4
backlash71
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggdoll View Post
Thanks! I'm going to try it.

Im 60, been around speed toys all my life, the last 20 years with modded Vettes. I rarely hit the limiter as I paid attention to my shifts and engine sound. So I'm confident Ill know when over revving and when to let off...

That being said, who has done this mod and were you happy with the results? What top end speed did you safely attain?

Thanks in advance!!!
I have an 06 with the Fe350. I did zip tie mod and was getting 23 mph. At that speed it would backfire on rolling stops and rev limiter would kick in. Put a new zip tie one or two clicks less and hit 22 mph, but best part is no more backfire and I do not reach rev limiter. Just have to play with it and find that sweet spot.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
backlash71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #5
Lenny5160
Not Yet Wild

I just went through 3-4 zip ties to get it just right. I actually don't get any more top speed out of mine, but the pedal response is way better.
Lenny5160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I would get a tach to be safe. I trust something more precise than "personal judgement". Little too far too long and you'll get to see inside your engine where the counterbalance weight is supposed to be...

Old 07-11-2019, 12:05 PM   #7
raggdoll
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I would get a tach to be safe. I trust something more precise than "personal judgement". Little too far too long and you'll get to see inside your engine where the counterbalance weight is supposed to be...
Yes, don't worry, I'm fully aware of it!

Back to my original question, anyone done the zip tie and rev limiter disable mod?

If so, how do you like it and what top end did you safely get?
Old 07-11-2019, 12:15 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggdoll View Post
Yes, don't worry, I'm fully aware of it!

Back to my original question, anyone done the zip tie and rev limiter disable mod?

If so, how do you like it and what top end did you safely get?
This all depends on your tire size and any other mods. Completely stock DS will get you close to 18-19... maaaayyyyyybe 20mph but any more than that is really asking for trouble. With a lift and up the tire size, speed increases. I can comfortably run around 20-22mph in mine with the unmodified governor in place (no zip tie) and rev limiter in place and functional. But I never go that fast just because I'm never on paved roads. I just like being able to cruise 12-14mph and have the engine happily idling along comfortably, and not revving the thing to the moon. I'm running 25" tires.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #9
raggdoll
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
This all depends on your tire size and any other mods. Completely stock DS will get you close to 18-19... maaaayyyyyybe 20mph but any more than that is really asking for trouble. With a lift and up the tire size, speed increases. I can comfortably run around 20-22mph in mine with the unmodified governor in place (no zip tie) and rev limiter in place and functional. But I never go that fast just because I'm never on paved roads. I just like being able to cruise 12-14mph and have the engine happily idling along comfortably, and not revving the thing to the moon. I'm running 25" tires.
Thats great to hear, but you really emphasize the "not revving the thing to the moon"

Respectfully, I get that. But please let others respond.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:30 PM   #10
raggdoll
Getting Wild

Yamaha

One other thing hopefully someone has experience with. I better buy a handheld RPM tach to check my RPM's. Anybody have a good one they can recommend, hopefully something I can get from Amazon.

UPDATE: Cart runs 30 kph now or just under 19 mph. Pretty conservative and safe I would think. Pretty much what I wanted.

I had a gas Yamaha that did 45 kph (28 mph) and it held up fine. I've since talked to a few local guys, and they say the DS's are not only bullet proof, but fast running carts with the right mod's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4271.jpg (201.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4272.jpg (200.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4273.jpg (165.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4274.jpg (182.9 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car