lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #1
br223899
Not Yet Wild

Default 2017 EZ GO Governor

Good morning. I understand this has been discussed many times before. However, I couldn't find a similar thread with my particular situation. I recently purchased a 2017 EZ GO cart, and of course, wanted a little more speed. I've attached a picture of the governor assembly for reference. I adjusted the throttle cable at the location in the pic (it's in the back ground in the pic behind the transmission gear selector cable), and was able to get more speed. I was able to increase the speed from around 15 mph to about 20 mph. 20 mph is approximately where I'd like it to be. Problem is, at about 20 mph, the governor keeps kicking in and cutting power to the motor. It doesn't matter how much I adjust with the throttle cable. The governor keeps coming into play making the engine cut and surge, cut and surge at this speed. It's almost like a stiffer spring is required to counteract the rotational force of the governor rod. I think the spring stiffness on older carts is adjustable, but not this one. I also experimented with a slotted adjustment with no success. As you may see, I temporarily installed a zip tie around the spring, essentially defeating the entire governor. However, this means a careful right foot is required. I read about people getting 25 mph on this forum, and I was wondering if there's another adjustment I'm not thinking about? Or, am I stuck with this? Thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-06-19 10_09_43-Documet.jpg (102.2 KB, 0 views)
br223899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2019, 10:41 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 2017 EZ GO Governor

Sounds to me like you're bouncing off the rev limiter, not the governor. I'd back off the cable a little bit until it quits surging, and that's about all you're going to get out of it. If you want more speed than that, a lift and larger tires are your next step.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #3
br223899
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. It's definitely the governor, not the rev limiter. With that zip tie, it will most certainly do more than 20 mph with no intervention from the governor. Without the zip tie, it surges from the governor at 20 mph. When I say surge, power is cut until it slows slightly, then power is restored. This cycles back and forth, and you can actually see the governor lever pulling against the spring to close the throttle at that speed every time power is cut. So, the only other way is to go faster (without my zip tie) are larger tires, eh?
Old 06-20-2019, 10:47 PM   #4
troglodyte
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

I’m having the same issue on my Hauler. Not knowing anything about the matter, what would happen if you zip tied a few coils of the spring? Seems you’d get a little more pull but still have the governor to help you from over reving.
troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:15 AM   #5
br223899
Not Yet Wild

That's exactly what I was thinking about. It doesn't sound like there's any other "official method" designed into the system for this. So, that's the route I'll probably try.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:30 PM   #6
nhrata
Not Yet Wild

did you have any luck coming up with a fix ?
nhrata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:55 PM   #7
nhrata
Not Yet Wild

I Tried to add a second spring over the stock spring to make it a little stiffer. It helped a little bit but still surged. I ended up safety wiring a little less then half the spring and it works much better will post picks later
nhrata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 12:12 PM   #8
rocky29670
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by br223899 View Post
Thanks. It's definitely the governor, not the rev limiter. With that zip tie, it will most certainly do more than 20 mph with no intervention from the governor. Without the zip tie, it surges from the governor at 20 mph. When I say surge, power is cut until it slows slightly, then power is restored. This cycles back and forth, and you can actually see the governor lever pulling against the spring to close the throttle at that speed every time power is cut. So, the only other way is to go faster (without my zip tie) are larger tires, eh?
I have a lifted with 23" tire 2017 ezgo 6 seater and mine does the same thing back where it throttles back power at 25 mph but would like to get to 30 before it does that. Anyone have a work around? I've tightened the cable on the governor but haven't done anything with zip ties.

Any help would be appreciated.
rocky29670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO