lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2019, 03:53 PM   #1
AubAlum0509
Getting Wild

Default 48 to 12V reducer wiring

My cart has been having charging issues. I believe it could be due to the way I connected my 48-12V reducer to the battery pack. I connected the Pos and negative straight to the battery packs, thus bypassing the OBC. Basically I have a 48V cart, and 6x 8V batteries, I connecte the Pos to the first in line battery and the neg to the last in line battery. Should I move one of these wires to somewhere else so the OBC is accounting for the voltage being used by the accessories connected to the Reducer?

I went to the Revolution website (Thanks TahoeDawg) and I had it wired just like the directions on the site.

So this brings me to back to my original problem, which is my Powerdrive charger will run only for a short amount of time. When I plug it it, I hear the click, and voltage jumps from 0 to approx 15V. Sometimes this will run for 2-3 minutes, and sometimes almost instantly, it just drops back to 0V, and then wont kick back in. The charger makes a constant hum, but doesnt apply Voltage anymore.
Thanks!
AubAlum0509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 48 to 12V reducer wiring

Yes, the Positive can go to the Battery side large post of the solenoid and the Negative can go to the B- at the controller. The OBC will the account for the energy units used on your converter.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:31 AM   #3
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

We have the same model cart and similar upgrades. As Nole stated, you can connect the 48 volt positive to the solenoid or leave it connected to the pack positive battery post as you have done. I elected to use the battery post for easy access to the in-line fuse. Just raise the seat to check vs crawling up under the cart to check if you have something blocking the access hatch above the controller.
Wire the negative to the B- terminal on the controller as suggested.
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubAlum0509 View Post
-snip-

So this brings me to back to my original problem, which is my Powerdrive charger will run only for a short amount of time. When I plug it it, I hear the click, and voltage jumps from 0 to approx 15V. Sometimes this will run for 2-3 minutes, and sometimes almost instantly, it just drops back to 0V, and then wont kick back in. The charger makes a constant hum, but doesnt apply Voltage anymore.
Thanks!
I missed all this part as it was below the pic. The converter is not causing that problem. It is an issue with Rectifier or Heatsink (based on which powerdrive you have) or an OBC issue. If the charger is humming but not charging and it is a DS, the fuse is bad at the charge receptacle, but since yours does initially charge and then quit, it makes me think the other suggestions I mentioned.

When you move the Neg to the B- you will have the pack disconnected. This will reset the OBC and may help.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:50 PM   #5
AubAlum0509
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
I missed all this part as it was below the pic. The converter is not causing that problem. It is an issue with Rectifier or Heatsink (based on which powerdrive you have) or an OBC issue. If the charger is humming but not charging and it is a DS, the fuse is bad at the charge receptacle, but since yours does initially charge and then quit, it makes me think the other suggestions I mentioned.

When you move the Neg to the B- you will have the pack disconnected. This will reset the OBC and may help.
First off, thanks for the replies Nolefan. I live in PCB, so lots of Noles around here.

As for the Cart, I completely removed the Voltage Reducer, and disco the pack for 10 minutes, reconnected the pack, and charged. It has been charging for 16 hours or so now, and my pack is back up to 60.1V. This is amazing, I have never seen the pack get that high, even new. I now think that my old batteries were in fact, not bad, just this issue, as I didnt rewire when getting new batteries. I did the compelte rewire before.

So appareantly my Voltage reducer wired the way I had it was the culprit. I am going to rewire with the + coming from the solenoid and the - going to the B- on Controller.

Thanks again to everyone who responded, and for anyone having a similar problem, try this, as it works.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:54 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

And not long after 16 hours it will time out and shut off. This is by design. Just use it a little and place it back on charge. It should then easily finish the full charge and turn off automatically. If it does not, please let us know as something else is amiss in the OBC.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:29 PM   #7
AubAlum0509
Getting Wild

Quote:
And not long after 16 hours it will time out and shut off. This is by design. Just use it a little and place it back on charge. It should then easily finish the full charge and turn off automatically. If it does not, please let us know as something else is amiss in the OBC.
It shut off finally. It went to 61.9V, while charging, last time I saw it. It has been off charge for over an hour, and it holding steady a 52.2V. Is this about where it should be?

I went ahead and move the Reducer wiring, it is now wired as follows:
Pos(+) to the (+) of battery pack.
Neg(-) to the B- of Altrax 400IQ controller.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:05 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubAlum0509 View Post
It shut off finally. It went to 61.9V, while charging, last time I saw it. It has been off charge for over an hour, and it holding steady a 52.2V. Is this about where it should be?

I went ahead and move the Reducer wiring, it is now wired as follows:
Pos(+) to the (+) of battery pack.
Neg(-) to the B- of Altrax 400IQ controller.
Around ~12 hours after it cuts off you should get 50.9 volts or more as 100% SOC.

Your connections are good, but I would have placed the Pos (+) on the battery side of the solenoid to keep anything not required from being connected to the MPP post. (Corrosion too!)
Old 06-08-2019, 11:42 PM   #9
noserider
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Yes, the Positive can go to the Battery side large post of the solenoid and the Negative can go to the B- at the controller. The OBC will the account for the energy units used on your converter.
Why is this important for the OBC to account for the energy used.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:10 AM   #10
AubAlum0509
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
Why is this important for the OBC to account for the energy used.
Because the OBC will only charge back the batteries what has been taken out. I had a bunch of LED spotlights, winch, etc that was wired seperate, and over time, it brought my batteries down.

Think about this, if you go for a night stroll, and you use 1% of your battery capacity to run the lights, if you have it wired outside of the OBC, then you lose that 1% battery upon recharge. Think about doing this 30 times, now all the sudden, you can only recharge to 70%. I had a few nights where we rode for hours, with the LEDS on, so I was probably down to about 35-40 of what my batteries should have been, when fully recharged. A full recharge would get me about 47.8V. Now, it has me back to over 52V. This really worked well...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car