lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2019, 03:38 PM   #1
sparty9955@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

Default Crown battery not fully charging

Hey guys,
I have a 2012 48v club car precedent with 6 8v crown 165 batteries. After charging with a club car power drive 2 charger these are my results:
1: Crown 165 (E16185J1) 8.4v
2: Crown 165 (F14185J3) 7.4v
3. Crown 165 (F14185J3) 7.4v
4. Crown 165 (E16185J1) 8.4v
5. Crown 165 (E07185J1) 8.4v
6. Crown 165 (E16185J1) 8.4v

I am concerned about battery 2&3 only having 7.4v compared to the rest of the pack after a charge. Am I reading the stamped code correctly on the batteries that they were made in 2018? Anything I can do to help these two batteries out? Water levels are at correct level. If not, would they be covered under warrantee? Can I replace just two batteries in the pack?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (211.3 KB, 0 views)
sparty9955@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2019, 04:57 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Crown battery not fully charging

Are there any wires other than the battery cables attached to those two batteries?
Anything that would draw power from only two batteries will pull those two out of balance with the rest.

You can try two things. One is the reset the OBC and let it recharge the entire pack a few times and see if the voltage on those two comes back up. Heck the voltage of each individual battery while they are charging. If those two batteries show higher voltage than the others there’s a good chance they’re damaged and may not be recoverable.

A second option would be to try to bring those up individually with a 12v charger.

I don’t know what Crowns warranty is. You would probably have to talk with a crown retailer as to whether they would be covered.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:06 AM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Should be a 1 year warranty on the batteries, call a friendly distributor.

If the pack is a year or less old, and they will not warranty them for some reason, see if you can get to good used batteries that are about the same age and use them. I would not scrap a fairly new pack because of this, but I would be concerned how 2 batteries lost a cell.....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #4
sparty9955@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

The radio is powered from battery 2&4. Not sure why? 16v, but that’s the way the golf cart store that installed the radio hooked it up. (Battery 1 starting at positive wire going to cart. Battery 6 ending at negative wire going to cart). I had plans for this summer to purchase a 48v to 12v voltage reducer to handle my radio and Led lights. Currently I’m only using a small reducer for the LED lights from battery 1 and battery 6. Any recommendations on a voltage reducer that can handle my led glow lights and radio?

While charging.....Battery 1,4,5,6 show 10.5v and battery 2,3 show only 7.9v (I was expecting battery 2,3 to show really high during charging if bad)

I will reset the OBC later today to see if that helps

If that doesn’t work, I’ll have to find someone with a 12v charger to see if I can charge them up individually.

I have reached out to Crown and waiting for there response
Old 05-27-2019, 08:01 PM   #5
bbriggs
Not Yet Wild

Looks to me like Fairtax nailed it. That wire coming off battery 4 positive terminal is most likely pulling from battery 2 positive and battery 3 negative (as Sergio once pointed out, battery 3 negative is synonymous with battery 4 positive). I'd be looking for a manual 12v charger; they're pretty cheap compared to batteries. I'd hook it up to battery 2 positive and battery 3 negative and see if I could save those two.
bbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:27 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Yeah I think they’re savable, but you’ll need to bring up the charge level on those two low batteries with a separate charger.
And for sure REMOVE the radio power wires from those batteries IMMEDIATELY.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:39 PM   #7
sparty9955@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Bbriggs,
I found a 12v charger, but have a lot of questions.
1. Do I set charger to AGM or Regular?
2. Do I set the charger to 10 Amp quick charge or 50 amp engine start?
3. Should I put the cart in tow mode?
4. I’ll connect the charger according to bbriggs post. Should I leave the pack completely intact or disconnect any of it?
5. If I leave the whole battery pack intact Will the OBC interfere with trying to charge this way?
6. Why do we leave all 6 batteries intact instead of disconnecting the pack and charging the troubled batteries individually?
Old 05-27-2019, 10:44 PM   #8
sparty9955@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

Battery pack and charger pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20B117C5-95C4-4475-A327-C39D98807B06.jpg (12.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg BCF2B08E-BEE7-4A8B-A026-104FC1DEF34B.jpg (23.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-27-2019, 10:56 PM   #9
sparty9955@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

Radio power wires have been disconnected
Old 05-27-2019, 11:02 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

10 amp Flooded Lead Acid setting. The amp guage might peg out because the voltage is low, but it should still be able to charge one at a time. Keep an eye on the voltage while they are charging, when they start to get into the 9+ volt range during charging, turn the charger off and let them rest for an hour or so and see where the rest voltage sits.

AGM is for Absorbed Glass Mat and is a different battery construction than what you have.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car