lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
Schooner
Getting Wild

Default madjax answer on tow out on alignment

Im having steering/control issues after 6" a-arm lift lift so i consulted with maxjax. Their directions for lifts on Yamaha drive says TOE OUT, even though common knowledge is toe in, which seems tro be same for every othr golf cart.

my email:

I want to conform the toe alignment on your lift kit. I have a 2014 Yamaha Drive, and purchased your 6” a-arm kit. The directions say to set the toe OUT, being the front measurement of the front wheels is further out than the rear of the front wheels. Is this correct? Most kits have toe in or equal tow, and most alignment shops recommend slight toe in. is there a reason for this? Also, should I measure toe with the cart loaded down?

this was their reply:

That is correct. Measure with the cart unloaded.
The reasoning for this is the steering geometry in Yamaha carts causes the cart to “turn in” when it leans in a corner.
Thanks,
Sam

I am taking to alignment shop to have professionally done to remove user error.. anyone actually ever set to toe out?
Schooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-31-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
bryanwood74
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: madjax answer on tow out on alignment

I have the kit for RXV and I have set mine to toe in about 1/4, but its still a little funky, I feel like at high speeds it could get out of control easily. I am personally going to turn my speed down some so I don't get in trouble or hurt myself or others. I am also going to have to work on camber a little on my passenger side front which requires taking the spindle loose and readjusting. I had thought about setting it to 3/8ths toe out and see if that helps with stability. I had read the same on lifts that toe in was the way to go, and I questioned it myself...
bryanwood74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:23 AM   #3
Schooner
Getting Wild

Default Re: madjax answer on toe out on alignment

im set at 1/4 out, but still a little twitchy. should i go more out ( per madjax) or take it in?

i did heavy duty rear springs.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I would not doubt them for two reasons, one the fronts on carts are not perfect and not for high speeds so it is typical for the toe to change with load on the cart. I usually check it with the cart loaded as it would be in use (have a person sitting on it). Second issue is toe in makes a cart twitchy and over steers, which is not good with a high lift the cart will sway around and could be dangerous at high speed. If anything is loose in the system it will be worse. Toe out will make the cart wander and not respond that well to input, but that is the safer of the two. What I did is drive the cart down the road with the rods loose and keep moving the toe in or out to get a good compromise where its calm in straight line but does not wander, and it turns when I turn it. This at a typical higher speed I might be running say 30mph on my cart. You have to know what way the threads turn to make the toe go in or out. If you turn both the same direction that will center your wheel. With small changes I could tell the difference. Mind you one day I ran the cart WOT down the road to check top speed which was 38mph and now it hit 41gps and started to feel a little squirrelly with just 3mph more. I never run it that fast in normal use, just saying this is not a car or even a atv front end don't expect it to work as well.

All that said 1/4 sounds like a lot to me but may indeed be best for your cart/lift/tire size. I know mine is toe out a tiny amount maybe 0-1/8 range with 22 tires. My lift was welded up by me and uses stock arms modified. It also will be a larger measurement if you have larger tires like 25s/etc. It may be different if the cart is not loaded.

Yes if your rear is weak it will make the cart sway more, HD springs in the rear will help or a roll bar. Really high lifted carts are not that stable unless you spacer the track wider too, don't expect it to be stable if its high. Of course nothing wrong with trying to make it better just saying as a driver of it you should be aware of what the lift does to the center of gravity. Making the rear stiffer will also make it ride harder in rough offroad conditions, its a trade off.

Measure at tires to find out if you are way off you should be close to zero where ever its at (maybe +/- 1/4" difference at tire center front and back, or less) with the cart loaded, because you don't want the tires scrubbing with bad toe setting far from zero it will wear them right off on hard surfaces. Sometimes you can see this in dirt the tires will leave tracks showing they are fighting each other when going straight.

My cart went faster now because I put a cam in the engine, still not sure the carb is right I have another to try. Just the same I don't run at high speeds on trails they are too rough it was for the power up to 30-35mph. If you run roads you really need your alignment to be spot on and no loose parts.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:24 PM   #5
Schooner
Getting Wild

I had the shop do 1/4 out but I’m stil not happy.. trying to decide to go Out more or bring back in .

I have had springs on rear.

I love the look but I can’t get this g29 to be as smooth as my precedent was
Old 02-07-2019, 03:24 AM   #6
Livnpaintball
Not Yet Wild

My G29 is a handful as well, after the 6” MJX lift its all over the road at higher speed. Will adjust more toe out and see what happens.
Livnpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:07 AM   #7
superpro56
Gone Wild
Club Car

Toe-in increases straight line stability, toe-out improves turn-in handling. For a golf cart application, no one should sacrifice straight line stability for steering response. This link goes through the basics of front end geometry.

http://en.intraxracing.nl/techniek/c...toe-intoe-out/
superpro56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts