lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2018, 07:19 AM   #1
hunter1s1k
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Question How to know If I have a 48 to 12 volt reducer.

Hi all, I bought a 2011 Club car Precedent At an auction. It is lifted with 23" tires. What is the easiest way to tell if it has a voltage reducer installed? It had led lights installed. They will turn on with the key in the off position. I added the ultimate upgrade light kit to make it street legal. The brake lights only work with the key in the on position. I've read that sometimes people hook up lights to 2 of the batteries (16 volts) and this causes uneven drain. Also if I need a reducer where can I get a factory one. This is my first cart and I don't know jack.
hunter1s1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: How to know If I have a 48 to 12 volt reducer.

there could be a factory reducer on the passenger side FRONT wheel well
it would be attached to the frame and look like this

best site sponsor for ALL your club car needs

Dave Hicks (TahoeDawgZ71) @ revolution golf cars can help Revolution Golf Cars is a Site Sponsor
click for web site

http://www.revolutiongolfcars.com

Phone: 706-4313917

Email: info@revolutiongolfcars.com
PM: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...=newpm&u=23157

BTW

hunter1s1k...Welcome to BGW

Last edited by crash test dummy; 09-30-2018 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: ADDED THE FRONT WHEEL WELL
Old 09-30-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

The easiest way to tell is to locate the source of energy drawn for the light kit. If you lift the seat you'll see the light harness is fed power through a blue wire. Where this blue wire is connected to the battery pack will determine which reducer you have. If it's connected to the MAIN positive post of battery number 1, you have a 48-12 reducer. If it's connected to the positive post of battery #5 (OR Negative of battery #4) you have a 16-12.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:29 PM   #4
hunter1s1k
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

After looking under the seat, there is a blue wire attached to #5 positive terminal. it is spliced to a red wire with a fuse link then runs into a harness.
I have not been able to spot a voltage reducer mounted anywhere. I would like to have the lights drawing off the full 48 volt pack. Not sure how to get there.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:02 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

I recommend the factory style reducer for Club Car Precedent.

Here's an image of where it is intended to be mounted. It includes a T-Harness adapter that will plug directly into your factory wiring harness, exactly like the 16-12 reducer that your cart is currently most likely equipped with. After you mount it and plug it in, all you'll need to do is relocate the positive wire under the seat that you mentioned above. Move it to the main positive battery post of the #1 battery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Voltage Reducer Location, Precedent.jpg (23.0 KB, 0 views)
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:31 AM   #6
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

You can tell if you have a reducer by measuring the voltage across one of your lights. If it is 12V then you have a reducer. If it is coming directly from the batteries that voltage will be 8V or 16V. It is harder to do that with a cart which has 12V batteries but yours has 8V batteries so the lights can only have 12V if it is coming from a reducer.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:04 AM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
You can tell if you have a reducer by measuring the voltage across one of your lights. If it is 12V then you have a reducer. If it is coming directly from the batteries that voltage will be 8V or 16V. It is harder to do that with a cart which has 12V batteries but yours has 8V batteries so the lights can only have 12V if it is coming from a reducer.
That is correct yawood, but I have seen 16 and 24 to 12 volt reducers too. They will not accomplish what the OP is trying to do.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:39 AM   #8
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
That is correct yawood, but I have seen 16 and 24 to 12 volt reducers too. They will not accomplish what the OP is trying to do.
That's correct Mooncarter but I didn't want to complicate that post too much with info about the different reducers.

Once you are pretty sure you do have a reducer you can then either look in the usual places or trace the wires back from the lights or look for additional wires around the battery pack. You can disconnect any suspect wires and see if the lights go out; if they do then check where that wire was connected. If you find a reducer you can test the input voltage to see if it is operating on the whole pack or not.

There's a lot the OP can do to track down what he has.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:19 PM   #9
hunter1s1k
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Smile Re: How to know If I have a 48 to 12 volt reducer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
I recommend the factory style reducer for Club Car Precedent.

Here's an image of where it is intended to be mounted. It includes a T-Harness adapter that will plug directly into your factory wiring harness, exactly like the 16-12 reducer that your cart is currently most likely equipped with. After you mount it and plug it in, all you'll need to do is relocate the positive wire under the seat that you mentioned above. Move it to the main positive battery post of the #1 battery.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to help. I pulled the plug to the front lights and was getting 17.4 volts. I am assuming that means no reducer and the lights are running of to batteries. Where can I get one of these factory style 48-12 volt reducers? I'm all about plug n play
Old 10-01-2018, 05:24 PM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1s1k View Post
Where can I get one of these factory style 48-12 volt reducers? I'm all about plug n play
Right here.. https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/voltage-reducers
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car