lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2018, 07:19 AM   #1
jmauld
Getting Wild

Default RXV doesn’t go

I have a 2013 RXV that’s wont move. When I turn the key in reverse the buzzer will sound, but I don’t hear the brake release.

Is there a diagnostic procedure that I can perform to identify what’s wrong or do I need to purchase a handheld unit?

Leading up to this, I had installed a Oem headlight and turn signal kit and I was occasionally getting a relay chatter sound from the dash area, when I first start it.
jmauld is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2018, 08:24 AM   #2
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV doesn’t go

What does the cart do when you turn the key to forward?

Additionally, does the cart now twitch or jerk when the key is turned on?

Finally can you measure the battery voltage across the entire pack? It should be on the high side of 50 Volts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jkredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:41 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Also, if you touched the keyswitch to activate your lights, you may need more than a handheld.

A 2013 should be a Curtis model Rxv. Verify yours is a Curtis Rxv. Search for Curtis Rxv troubleshooting guide. It is written with a handheld in mind, but has lots of tests to do with a Voltmeter.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:09 PM   #4
jmauld
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkredman View Post
What does the cart do when you turn the key to forward?

Finally can you measure the battery voltage across the entire pack? It should be on the high side of 50 Volts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In forward and reverse it makes the heavy clicking sound like the brake had been released. There’s no jerking of the cart in either direction. The brake does physically release because I can roll the cart. I was either mistaken when I thought that it wasn’t releasing earlier or that changed after a recharge.

Voltage was measured at 51.8V about an hour after unplugging the charger.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:38 PM   #5
jmauld
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Also, if you touched the keyswitch to activate your lights, you may need more than a handheld.

A 2013 should be a Curtis model Rxv. Verify yours is a Curtis Rxv. Search for Curtis Rxv troubleshooting guide. It is written with a handheld in mind, but has lots of tests to do with a Voltmeter.
Okay, using the right search terms helped a lot. Thank you for the nudge in the right direction. I found the guide here and will reference that tomorrow when I work on it again.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ing-guide.html

What do you mean about the key Switch? I used a factory harness light kit to avoid the wiring issues that you have mentioned elsewhere. There was an aftermarket kit that I uninstalled but I it has ran for months since I have done that. I did replace the key switch with a new “unique key switch” since I’m in a town where carts sometimes get stolen. But again, all factory parts.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:05 AM   #6
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

try pulling back on the gas pedal, then turn the key on. sometimes dirt/sand get in around the return spring. If that fixes it, you can take out the floor mat to get to the pedal assembly, clean it up and put a little oil on the spring. You can also shim the ends of the spring with a small piece of fuel hose to make the spring a little stronger if needed.
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:49 AM   #7
jmauld
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkredman View Post
I tried something different this morning before work. If I press the brake pedal after switching it on, it rocks back and forth. And will do this anytime you press the brake pedal with it in forward or reverse. I didn't have a lot of time to mess with it before work.

I also tried pulling back on the pedal as Basshawk suggested and that had no effect.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:56 AM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

The key to his problem is mentioned in post 5... The cart rolls, and if he presses the brake pedal, it affects the response...

This indicates a Motor brake that is drawing too much current (impedance under 20 ohms), and a possible shorted Motor Brake FET. Error code in the controller should be reading Motor Brake OC Error and Motor Brake Driver On if the FET is shorted...

Remove the plug from the Motor Brake and use an ohmmeter on the lowest setting to measure the coil resistance (impedance) at the 2 pins inside of the motor brake socket. The spec is 25.5 ohms, and 28 ohms or so is typically seen. Under 20 ohms and it starts getting intermittent, totally failing to pass test at 19 or 18 ohms.

You can buy a new one for a fair price from a seller some of us have bought from before...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/301992451277

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:57 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

That's a really good price, like really good...
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:45 AM   #10
MUDSLINGER250
Getting Wild

Just chiming in on the brake advertised on Ebay. I just bought one from him and it works great was also as advertised new in the box. My cart was doing same as your key on jerk forward or reverse or simply nothing at all.
MUDSLINGER250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO