lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2018, 07:43 AM   #1
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Alltrax & FNKS settings - mild, medium, & wild

I've been having some difficulty getting the 3 settings on my Alltrax FNKS the way I want:

N. Mild (stock-like for wife & kids)
1. Medium (a little snappier)
2. Wild (most performance)

I kept tweaking this and that and could never get it exactly how I wanted it (too jerky, too sluggish, too fast, too slow, etc.). I finally contacted Ron at Alltrax, told him what I was wanting to achieve, and asked if he could fill in a form I created to get me close to what I wanted. He nailed it! Thanks Ron!!!

I did make a couple of adjustments to the regen braking, but all 3 settings are now exactly what I wanted:

NORMAL: 14 mph. Feels like the cart is stock - straight from the golf course. Slow, smooth acceleration. Lots of regen braking to keep downhill speeds safe.

USER 1: 20 mph. A little more performance - crisper acceleration but still smooth. Still a good amount of regen braking for downhill safety.

USER 2: 23 mph. Fun acceleration but not enough to snap your neck or break something on the cart. Some regen braking to save brake pads on downhills (still does over 30 mph downhill).

Attached is the form I made with the settings I am using. You can download and save the form and insert your own settings just by tabbing through the text fields.

2014 Club Car Precedent
stock motor
Alltrax XCT500
400A solenoid
2 gauge cables
22" tires
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Alltrax Tuning Form.pdf (1.27 MB, 0 views)
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2018, 08:07 AM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Alltrax & FNKS settings - mild, medium, & wild

I’d be careful doing 30 downhill with the stock motor. I’ve seen many armatures break up internally going that fast.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:14 AM   #3
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

I work with adobe everyday and I don’t know how to create the editable fields. Nice job, and thank you for sharing. I think this may be the first time that anyone emailed Alltrax about there settings. Ron’s response is a little different than what I would have expected, specifically on the motoring amps. Looks like I need to revisit my settings based on your results.

I’m surprised he has the max motoring amps (500) on all 3 settings and only controls the acceleration with the throttle rate only. I know the stock motor can get toasted if given too much amperage so I guess the 40% max throttle rate in mode 2 limits it to less than the full 500?

I wish they would publish more detailed information on how exactly the various settings interact with each other. For example, why is there two amp settings for regen? And what does the throttle rate change, the throttle curve or decrease the amps? The way I interpret the manual is the throttle rate just slows down how fast the controller reacts to changes in throttle input, but if that was the case you would still get the 500 amps in Normal mode which would still accelerate harder than stock but there would be a delay in the throttle input. So I must be wrong based on your results.

I’d also like to better understand how the motor maps work and how the maps can get impacted by the settings. From what I’m guessing based on various threads, when you have the max rpm set at say 4,500 like you do in Mode 1, does the map cut the field amps down as you approach that speed/rpm? That would explain why some people never get to the actual set rpm limit, usually a couple hundred rpm less. Therefore, if it’s set at 4,500 but only gets to 4,350 or something do we really need to set the max rpm at 4,750 to actually get it to stop right at 4,500?
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

E36Racer - That was the main reason I contacted Alltrax - I just could not figure out, based on their instructions, what each setting did exactly and how they interacted with other settings. I seemed to be going around in circles with the various adjustments I was making.

LukeL - If my math is correct, 30 mph with 22" tires should be 5,638 rpms, which is pretty high. I also found out that going 30 mph downhill, you can run out of brakes really fast. That's why I added some more regen braking to that setting - the only way I can do 30 downhill is by keeping the GO pedal all the way down. I also learned that going 30 mph in a short wheelbased golf cart seems a LOT faster than I thought it would.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #5
ChrisRice
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

This is great information and very timely as I just installed my fnks switch. I have been trying to figure out where to start in terms of the settings. Thanks for sharing the info.
ChrisRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:36 AM   #6
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonr3 View Post
E36Racer - That was the main reason I contacted Alltrax - I just could not figure out, based on their instructions, what each setting did exactly and how they interacted with other settings. I seemed to be going around in circles with the various adjustments I was making.

LukeL - If my math is correct, 30 mph with 22" tires should be 5,638 rpms, which is pretty high. I also found out that going 30 mph downhill, you can run out of brakes really fast. That's why I added some more regen braking to that setting - the only way I can do 30 downhill is by keeping the GO pedal all the way down. I also learned that going 30 mph in a short wheelbased golf cart seems a LOT faster than I thought it would.

It is very fast, I agree. I have a D&D motor that can go that fast but I almost never do [emoji1303]

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:13 AM   #7
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

In a related question. I wonder how a battery reacts when you hit it with 150 regen amps considering a battery was designed to charge around 20 amps?
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:04 AM   #8
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Great information! Thanks for sharing. I am in the middle of a complete rebuild and will be needing this information soon.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think there is a danger going too high with armature regen for sure.
I have not done any experimenting at above 100 amps at armature or battery. Doing so may cause catastrophic motor damage if the operator was to sidestep the pedal at high speed downhill. A few members experience this with the old DCX control.

I posted the safe limit question to Alltrax Support and will post it when I get a reply.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:27 PM   #10
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I posted the safe limit question to Alltrax Support and will post it when I get a reply.
Great, thanks ScottyB!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car