lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2018, 04:33 PM   #1
jburns80
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Newbie Questions, Quick Questions

Hey all, Golf Cart newbie here. I was gifted an older Club car, I'll get the year model and update when I do. Currently the cart runs but has some quirks. I'm wondering if these are just the way the cart runs or if I may have some issues to look in to. I've been reading through the forums but figure you all may be able to solve my questions quicker than me reading through the thousands of posts. Here goes and please don't roast me too bad for being a newbie.

1. The cart goes fine but seems to slow down until the F-N-R knob is moved from F to N back to F, then seems to be more responsive for a while but again the issue will re-appear. From what I've read this may be related to the OBC but not quite sure.

2. The cart really slows down going up-hill. After some reading I think this may be a battery issue. The batteries were recently serviced and they seem to charge fine but still really slow up-hill.

My next questions relate to upgrades and should be fairly easy to answer.
1. I have heard these motors are very good and last a while. Is there any way to upgrade the motor without buying a new motor?

2. Is there a lift kit that is recommended? I'm thinking 3 inch would suffice as I'm not doing a large amount of off-roading. Suggestions on this are welcome.

3. Best place to buy parts??

Sorry for the long post guys but I look forward to the feedback.
jburns80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Newbie Questions, Quick Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburns80 View Post
Hey all, Golf Cart newbie here. I was gifted an older Club car, I'll get the year model and update when I do. Currently the cart runs but has some quirks. I'm wondering if these are just the way the cart runs or if I may have some issues to look in to. I've been reading through the forums but figure you all may be able to solve my questions quicker than me reading through the thousands of posts. Here goes and please don't roast me too bad for being a newbie.

1. The cart goes fine but seems to slow down until the F-N-R knob is moved from F to N back to F, then seems to be more responsive for a while but again the issue will re-appear. From what I've read this may be related to the OBC but not quite sure. Probably not the OBC. It is more for the charge cycle control. Maybe a worn switch or a bad connection at the switch

2. The cart really slows down going up-hill. After some reading I think this may be a battery issue. The batteries were recently serviced and they seem to charge fine but still really slow up-hill. Yes, most likely a battery issue and if they are older or have not been properly maintained will be worse.

My next questions relate to upgrades and should be fairly easy to answer.
1. I have heard these motors are very good and last a while. Is there any way to upgrade the motor without buying a new motor? Not really, unless you want to send it out to Plum Quick as you seem to have a Series cart. https://www.plumquick.com/
2. Is there a lift kit that is recommended? I'm thinking 3 inch would suffice as I'm not doing a large amount of off-roading. Suggestions on this are welcome. The All-Sports Double A-arm kits are very good. https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/lift-kits

3. Best place to buy parts?? Revolution Golf Cars - David Hicks (TahoeDawgZ71) https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/store or Carts Unlimited - scottyb http://www.cartsunlimited.net/ . Any of the site sponsors will do you well.

Sorry for the long post guys but I look forward to the feedback.
Ok
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:54 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

I'd be more than happy to specifically answer each of your questions, but first we need to know what year and what drive system is on your cart... Click the link below.

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/d...identification
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:46 AM   #4
jburns80
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

You guys are awesome, I'll get the needed info. Thank you
Old 06-08-2018, 10:07 AM   #5
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Learning and building a cart can be a very frustrating, rewarding, wonderful and sometimes costly undertaking. If your plans are to build it and keep it then this site will be your best friend. Ask questions and take it slow and do it right. The club Car DS is a great platform to build upon. Do yourself a favor and learn how the body pieces come off the cart. Remove them and inspect the frame for cracked welds and corrosion as well as suspension components that won't be replaced with a lift like shocks, leaf springs and steering. It's much easier to work on the cart with the front & rear body parts removed. Good luck and welcome!
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:35 AM   #6
jburns80
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

So it is a DS for sure, Serial is A9840-700662, Which I believe means it's a DS Electric manufactured in 1998. I know it's a 48 Volt because it has 6, 8 volt batteries wired in series. I'm going to start where any good person would start and follow the suggestion of taking the whole thing apart and then testing each battery, My first goal is to get the motor and the control switch repaired, then I'll move on to upgrades / improvements. I'll continue to monitor the threads and learn as much as I can so I'm not a pest with questions ha ha. Usually when I get on these types of projects I like to ask as many questions as possible to make sure I get it right the first time and I don't want to repeat questions that have already been answered so I'll do my due diligence first. Thank you guys for your help already.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Good Plan!
Old 06-08-2018, 11:47 AM   #8
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

i must be a bad person, riding around in my stock cart
i too was gifted my cart 7 yrs ago, about the same time i got my highly modified 58 chevy truk finished. everyone figured i'd do the same mods to the club car... nope
imo... get the cart running as is, check everything out and get the mechanic/electric systems straight. then get a plan for mods.
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:50 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburns80 View Post
So it is a DS for sure, Serial is A9840-700662, Which I believe means it's a DS Electric manufactured in 1998. I know it's a 48 Volt because it has 6, 8 volt batteries wired in series. I'm going to start where any good person would start and follow the suggestion of taking the whole thing apart and then testing each battery, My first goal is to get the motor and the control switch repaired, then I'll move on to upgrades / improvements. I'll continue to monitor the threads and learn as much as I can so I'm not a pest with questions ha ha. Usually when I get on these types of projects I like to ask as many questions as possible to make sure I get it right the first time and I don't want to repeat questions that have already been answered so I'll do my due diligence first. Thank you guys for your help already.
Did you identify your drive system? Just because the batteries are wired in a series doesn't mean it's a series car. The batteries are wired in a series in all of them. A 1998 is either a series car or a Regen 2.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Did you identify your drive system? Just because the batteries are wired in a series doesn't mean it's a series car. The batteries are wired in a series in all of them. A 1998 is either a series car or a Regen 2.
I think he said somewhere in his original post it has the F-N-R knob (as opposed to a rocker switch) so I locked him into a Series on that note...

Tags
batteries., electrical, forum store, lift kits, motor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car