lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2018, 09:08 AM   #1
420ma
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Battery loss

How much voltage can I expect my batteries to lose just sitting. I have a yewy charger, but I'm not comfortable leaving it out in the elements when I'm away from the cart. Also don't want it to grow legs and walk!
420ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery loss

Typically about 1% of their charge per day.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:53 AM   #3
420ma
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks
Old 06-04-2018, 11:57 AM   #4
420ma
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

that's not a lot of time I could leave it alone...maybe 2 weeks tops before it goes below 50%. Hmmm....
Old 06-04-2018, 12:13 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That loss is in "storage capacity" not "Voltage".

A Trojan T-105 (225AH) could lose up to 2.25AH per day of available capacity when stored in high temperatures, typically loses are half that much.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:19 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The 1% of SoC per day is very generic and it includes parasitic losses in addition to the battery's self-discharge rate.

Different make/model batteries have different loss rates.
The same make/model of battery will have different loss rates in different carts.
Temperature and age of batteries also effect loss rate, plus other factors.

You more or less have to let the batteries sit for several days, measuring the voltage daily, to find out the loss rate of your specific batteries in your specific cart.

The going on 3 year old T-105 batteries I replaced when I went to 42V lost almost 1.5% per day after they were out of the cart. Of course, they werern't in good health since they had spent about a year and a half in Arizona as part of a golf course fleet before I got my 2008 cart in 2011. (Second set of batteries in three years, doesn't say too much for the care the batteries received at that golf course, but the Phoenix area is hot and dry.)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:15 AM   #7
420ma
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Either way the bottom line is do I risk someone walking away with my charger or it getting damaged by the elements. Or keep the batteries charged? or drag the batteries home after every trip.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:09 AM   #8
CrazyDad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Why not mount the yewy under the seat and make it on board. I thought I saw a thread where someone made a lock for their seat. I’m thinking about doing this too.
CrazyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:12 AM   #9
420ma
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDad View Post
Why not mount the yewy under the seat and make it on board. I thought I saw a thread where someone made a lock for their seat. I’m thinking about doing this too.
No room. Plus I just don't get a warm fuzzy walking away leaving something plugged in that I can't go check on. Scottyb said I could leave it plugged in with no issues but I just can't do it...OCD type thing.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:26 AM   #10
CrazyDad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I’ve been unplugging mine after a day also. It’s hot here in Texas and I hear the fan running while in float mode a lot. I share the OCD bug.
CrazyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO