lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
JRoc118
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV Stability

I have a 2013 RXV with 6 inch Madjax lift on 23 inch tires and 14 inch wheels. I have taken it to have it aligned twice lately and it still feels a little unstable. Is this to be expected? It doesn’t feel like it’s going to flip, just not as stable as I would like. Is their anything that I could possibly do to increase the stability without removing the lift? I love the way it looks, just wish it was a little smoother

Thanks in advance

This is also my first cart. Still learning.
JRoc118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Stability

You've raised the center of gravity.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:59 PM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

It's simple physics... Lifting a cart raises its CG (Center of Gravity), increasing instability. You could re-engineer the suspension, but it's much easier and less expensive to just lower your CG. By the way, 23 inch tires on a stock RXV controller will likely result in controller failure. I've changed a few out for members here that had their controller die from the stress of oversized tires.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:07 PM   #4
JRoc118
Not Yet Wild

I understand the physics aspect of it. I may just look into to taking the lift kit off and swapping the tires out. Any recommendations on the best tires if I return the cart to stock height.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:10 PM   #5
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

205/65-10 tires work very well on a non lifted RXV cart.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:14 PM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
205/65-10 tires work very well on a non lifted RXV cart.
That would be a good choice. That works out to a mathematical tire diameter of about 20.369". He may want to keep his 14" wheels.

Jroc118... if you would like to keep your existing 14" wheels, using a tire size of 205/40-14 would give you a mathematical tire diameter of about 20.381".

The maximum sized tire to keep within the operating range of the E-Z-GO VCL (Vehical Control Language) in the RXV controller is 20.5". That is also the maximum tire size for use without a lift.

The following is for the benefit of anyone unfamiliar with the workings of EV 3 phase AC drives. Unlike DC motors, with 3 phase AC motors, the controller controls the drive frequency to control motor RPM.

The purpose of the VCL range is so that the controller can properly calculate the drive current required to maintain rotor lock in the motor at the operating RPM. With AC drives, in order to be most efficient and minimize overheat of the controller and motor, you'll want the controller to be able to calculate the minimum amount of current required to maintain synchronous rotor lock with the rotating 3 phase magnetic field throughout the operating RPM range of the motor. Not enough current results in excess slip, and your motor turns slower than the field rotation speed. Too much current wastes energy and results in excess heat generated in both the motor and the controller.

When the tire diameter is much larger than the VCL range, it requires a lot more current to maintain lock than the VCL can calculate that the motor should require at any particular RPM. This results in conflicts that cannot resolve, which affects operation. Even if you were to have your controller recalibrated for the larger tire, the higher current at lower RPM will overload the controller and motor, resulting in higher temperature operation than the controller and motor were designed for.

What we have seen with stock RXV controllers and 23" tires, they tend to overheat and shut down more often than not, before the motor reaches overheat. After multiple overheats, the controller will fail. A higher powered controller can prevent controller damage/failure, but will do nothing to prevent motor overheat. The controller will detect the motor overheat, and cut back on drive, resulting in cart slowdown.

There are members here running 23" tires on their RXV with no apparent issues, and that may have a lot to do with how and where they operate them. I know of a couple that use 350 Amp upgrade controllers. But I've also seen quite a few RXV owners that have had issues caused by 23" tires. This is why I try to warn others about it.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:37 AM   #7
JRoc118
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the great info. I’m going to just go ahead and take the lift off and switch the tires up. We bought it to run around the neighborhood and back and forth to the pool. It will be on pavement 99% of the time. I got the lift purely for the “cool factor”, but now my wife hates driving it due to the stability. I orobably will not keep the wheels to save money and go with the tire size you recommended. Is their a specific tire that you would recommend for what we will be using it for. Thanks so much.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:41 AM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoc118 View Post
Thanks for all the great info. I’m going to just go ahead and take the lift off and switch the tires up. We bought it to run around the neighborhood and back and forth to the pool. It will be on pavement 99% of the time. I got the lift purely for the “cool factor”, but now my wife hates driving it due to the stability. I orobably will not keep the wheels to save money and go with the tire size you recommended. Is their a specific tire that you would recommend for what we will be using it for. Thanks so much.
You'll probably want to get DOT tires, as they are best for driving on roads. Make sure they are higher pressure tires, because there are a lot of "fake" DOT tires on eBay that are made in China. The low pressure tires have higher rolling resistance, which will slow your cart down. Where are you located?
Old 05-30-2018, 08:31 AM   #9
JRoc118
Not Yet Wild

Northeast Tennessee. I bought the cart I have already put together from a local dealer. I can attach a photo.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:33 PM   #10
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Ahhh ok, we're not so far apart. I'm in SE TN, right by the NC state line, not too far north of the GA line. When you're ready for more speed or other programming upgrades, I have a programming station and a diagnostic handset. I don't charge for programming RXVs for members here.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO