lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #1
omextreme2381
Not Yet Wild

Default US Battery Denying warranty on 12 month old Batteries, Thoughts?

I have a 2004 TXT with a set of 12 month old batteries that are completely shot. I took the cart in and the battery rep is refusing to replace them under warranty stating that I "boiled them dry"

I know for a fact that this set was never allowed to get low on water, not even once. The previous set of batteries was ruined by a failed charger that did boil them dry while we were out of town.

Ever since I ruined that pack I check the battery level every week. Additionally I have replaced the original suspect charger.

So my quandary is this...

Either the shop that sold me the batteries sold me a **** fine looking set of batteries that were previously boiled down, ruined and exchanged under warranty as new. (that shop is gone so i cannot go to them)

Or US battery is Full of CRAP,

The battery rep stated the batteries were out of electrolytes (can you determine that in the field?)

Does anyone have any ideas, I hate that i have a crapped out set of well cared for batteries and I am out $800
omextreme2381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2018, 12:36 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: US Battery Denying warranty on 12 month old Batteries, Thoughts?

The SOC or state of charge will determine how much electrolyte is active in the battery. You can accurately take this measurement for each cell with a refractometer.

Another way to kill batteries is to let them sit without recharging for long periods of time. OR running them low and letting them sit for even short periods.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #3
omextreme2381
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The SOC or state of charge will determine how much electrolyte is active in the battery. You can accurately take this measurement for each cell with a refractometer.

Another way to kill batteries is to let them sit without recharging for long periods of time. OR running them low and letting them sit for even short periods.
These batteries were used 2x weekly, never let to sit off of charger, never allowed to sit discharged.

The rep used a hydrometer not a refractometer to test the batteries.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

The battery rep stated the batteries were out of electrolytes (can you determine that in the field?)
Yes, take the caps off and see if you can see any liquid. The water/acid mixture is the electrolyte.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #5
omextreme2381
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post

Yes, take the caps off and see if you can see any liquid. The water/acid mixture is the electrolyte.
The batteries were filled to the proper level as they always have been. His claim was that all that was in the batteries was just water and that they would not hold a charge since the "electrolytes were used up" when the batteries were boiled down (allegedly)
Old 02-12-2018, 01:53 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Given what the customer is saying I find it hard to believe the rep is correct.
What if the electrolyte was not installed to the proper level in the first place.
I think you could tell him that Your use and care was within the manufactures guidelines and you feel the batteries were not made or prepared properly and you are will to give US battery another chance if they pro-rate this set by the 2 yrs use you got out of them.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:01 PM   #7
omextreme2381
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
........give US battery another chance if they pro-rate this set by the 2 yrs use you got out of them.
We only got 11 months.. I have reached out to them but so far no response.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:57 PM   #8
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you still got the batteries and you feel that you are right and willing to risk 25 dollars do what Scotty suggested and buy a refractory not a hydrometer and check them yourself. I'm not a chemist but I believe that when you charge batteries no acid is lost in the process just water. If acid was lost you would have to add acid along with water after normal charging.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-12-2018, 10:08 PM   #9
omextreme2381
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
If you still got the batteries and you feel that you are right and willing to risk 25 dollars do what Scotty suggested and buy a refractory not a hydrometer and check them yourself. I'm not a chemist but I believe that when you charge batteries no acid is lost in the process just water. If acid was lost you would have to add acid along with water after normal charging.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have not made any decisions on this pack yet. I have ordered a refractometer but based on my readings with my hydrometer all but 2 cells read low even after a full charge.

After charging and allowing to rest 2 hrs the pack reads 37.2v

With a 50 amp load test we get about 11 mins of simulated run time before hitting 35v...
Old 02-12-2018, 10:28 PM   #10
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

One last thing to check. See if there is a date of manufacture on the batteries. That would rule out the possibility that you were sold used batteries.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car