lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2017, 04:31 PM   #1
pushrod345
Getting Wild

Default clutch noise

i have a comet 780 clutch and it makes a squeeling noise at idle it is not the belt, rev the motor and it stops, it sounds like a bad beering, even does it in nutral, the darn thing is new
pushrod345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-02-2017, 03:28 AM   #2
David Maner
Morel Man

Club Car

Default Re: clutch noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod345 View Post
i have a comet 780 clutch and it makes a squeeling noise at idle it is not the belt, rev the motor and it stops, it sounds like a bad beering, even does it in nutral, the darn thing is new
There really isn't anything to be making a squealing noise at idle in a comet 780 clutch. Everything is rotating at the same pace, nothing is stopped. The weights and arms are at rest spinning along with the rest of the clutch. There really isn't anything there to cause this. I've had my new 780 apart two times changing weights and springs and like I said there is nothing that is rotating at a different speed than the rest of it at anytime. Its all rotating together. The only thing that could be squealing would be the belt rubbing along the center shaft because it is too tight. To cure that loosen the belt up a tad.

Keep us or me at least up to speed on this as I'm interested in what the problem is.

I wish I'd have taken pictures when I was changing the weights and springs in mine to show you there is nothing there to make a squealing noise. The only thing can be the belt squealing along the center shaft and if that is the case then as soon as you speed up the engine and the clutch starts squeezing the belt making it ride up in the sheaves the squealing will stop as the belt is no longer in contact with the center shaft
David Maner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:01 AM   #3
pushrod345
Getting Wild

the belt is loose probably too loose i can squeeze it together, plan on correcting that today, with the cart in nutral i can rev the motor and watch the clutch it works fine but as soon as you let off the gas and it opens back up the noise starts, there is no slipping becaus the secondary clutch is spinning, hit the gas and it stops, i thought there might be a berring in ther squeeling, that is what it sounds like, a dry berring
Old 10-02-2017, 10:44 AM   #4
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Is your drive clutch aligned to the secondary clutch?
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
pushrod345
Getting Wild

it is now, i think the noise is coming from the belt, i started it up and pushed down a little on the belt with a hammer handle and the noise stoped, i guess it is all the little grooves on the belt, every thing is fine thank you all for your help
Old 10-02-2017, 07:31 PM   #6
David Maner
Morel Man

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod345 View Post
it is now, i think the noise is coming from the belt, i started it up and pushed down a little on the belt with a hammer handle and the noise stoped, i guess it is all the little grooves on the belt, every thing is fine thank you all for your help
Thanks for letting us know you've got it figured out.

Enjoy that engine. I know I sure am mine. I'll catch myself just making up an excuse to run to the store so I can drive my VC460 powered CC DS. Just a grinning the whole way. LOL

I'm no longer an old man rather I'm just an old grown up KID :-)
David Maner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:55 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If the belt is new some are sticky and will do that, some drag bad too. An hour use or so on it and it should be better.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps