lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2017, 02:39 AM   #1
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default overriding run/tow switch

One for the Guru's.

Ok. you read the title and and thought "why would you want to do that?"

2015 Club car Precedent.

Well, a little background for you. Picture this scenario. A customer hires a cart, which i have slowed down with my CDT and once out of sight, has discovered that he can flick the tow/run switch to coast down slopes a lot faster. This now completely undoes the reason for slowing the carts down. ie, preventing the massive amount of damage that we were getting.

I gave this some thought and decided that i could either:

(1) replace the switch with a key switch ( could get expensive and could be forced with a screwdriver )
(2)piggy back the run/tow switch with a key operated switch to overide the original requiring BOTH to be switched to off position for towing.(again could get expensive )
(3) piggy back the switch with a fuse that needs pulling to go into tow mode.
( Where to put the fuse so as not to be obvious but easy to get at )
(4) Run a 48V feed to the light green wire on the switch that i think i can take from the blue accessory wire at the battery pack ( I assume this is for the voltage reducer and 48V accessories.) which will need pulling to allow the tow run switch to operate for tow and not be obvious.

SO, My question is which idea seems the best to you and will option (4) be safe for the electronic controls. As far as i can see it should be fine. Then only the pro shop manager and myself will be able to place the cart in tow.

Most of these ideas would soon be found by the smart customer but the piggy back fuse (hidden) and the direct live connection to the green wire (not Obvious) seem the most likely not to be found.

My thoughts are if safe for the cart, to feed the green wire from the battery pack!

Ideas and advice would be most welcome.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-28-2017, 07:43 AM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: overriding run/tow switch

lock the seat
put in dummy switch and move real run/tow switch to hidden area
Old 09-28-2017, 08:04 AM   #3
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

You dont know the people who hire these things LOL. I have tried the obvious. these guys will carry a battery zipsaw or angle grinder to cut locks etc. this needs to be subtle. if i could find a place to put a hidden switch on a precedent, i would but it needs to be accessible for the shop staff to use. we have had these over two years and everything else we have tried has been found or disconnected. We have considered installing the Visage full control gps system that club car sell, but you can still get the cart to freewheel with the tow/run switch making it an expensive toy that does not solve the issue, as they can then coast it down the hill and crash it.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:42 AM   #4
crash test dummy

A good written warning that every renter signs and the cost of a replacement cart should be enough
anyone/group caught tampering should be banned from any cart rental / golf course

barrel key lock switch in place of the run tow switch

sometimes you just need to slap a hooligan up side the head
Old 09-28-2017, 09:09 AM   #5
JakeJones8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Crash,

do you have experience putting one of the barrel keys in? I have found a million of them on the web but hardly any show what they are rated at AMP-wise. Do you have a specific switch and maybe even a link to what you have used in the past? Thank you in advance!
JakeJones8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:23 AM   #6
glassk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
You dont know the people who hire these things LOL. I have tried the obvious. these guys will carry a battery zipsaw or angle grinder to cut locks etc. this needs to be subtle. if i could find a place to put a hidden switch on a precedent, i would but it needs to be accessible for the shop staff to use. we have had these over two years and everything else we have tried has been found or disconnected. We have considered installing the Visage full control gps system that club car sell, but you can still get the cart to freewheel with the tow/run switch making it an expensive toy that does not solve the issue, as they can then coast it down the hill and crash it.
So I can cut your lock or crash your cart and you will rent me another one with out any consequences,...
glassk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:28 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Also keep in mind that a simple 2.5kΩ resistor, or in the case of the ERIC system a simple piece of wire inserted into the charger receptacle will allow the cart to freewheel downhill.

I would just put some "tamper evident" tape around the Tow/Run switch and charge a diagnostic fee if it has been tampered.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:31 AM   #8
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Guys. Cut the sarcasm for a moment. I only get called to fix them. They belong to the course I work at and what you are commenting about is out of my hands. We are pay and play only, not a membership course. These so called customers rent and ride and then leave them on the course and disappear. It is never the same person taking g the cart, and any known offenders are of course banned. I came here for an answer to back up my thoughts. Not to be told how I should be running someone else's course. I came back to this site because it was fun when first started but seems things have changed over the years.

Thanks anyway
Old 09-28-2017, 09:37 AM   #9
JakeJones8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Woah. Easy big fella. What they are saying (through lots of sarcasm) is that no matter what you do, someone will always be able to find a way. The only way to stop them is through their wallet. Make them leave their CC on file when they rent the cart and if it is proved to be tampered with you charge their CC for whatever the agreed amount is... Other than that the Barrel key is your best "eye test" deterrent.
JakeJones8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:01 AM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I was not being sarcastic, none of your ideas would work as it is pretty easy to just unplug one of the battery cables as they do not have a lot of torque.

Even if you can totally prevent the user from getting under the seat, they can easily defeat the system through the charger receptacle.

About the best option is to put a simple 48v relay in a "latching" configuration so if the power is removed from the system, it would take a hidden switch or momentary key lock switch to activate the relay again.

Someone could still go down hill fast one time, but the cart would not run again.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car