lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #1
Hittman347
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Flashing battery light and voltage

I have a 2014 CC Precedent that had 2013 batteries in it. I checked the water in them shortly after buying it and one battery was low enough in one cell that the top of the plates were exposed. Topped it off, charged it, and 5-8 minutes into driving it the battery light starts flashing. I check the voltage on all 6 and they read in 8.XX except for the one that had low water. It was 6.XX. Is it safe to assume the problem is that one battery being bad?
Hittman347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #2
hipower
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Flashing battery light and voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman347 View Post
I have a 2014 CC Precedent that had 2013 batteries in it. I checked the water in them shortly after buying it and one battery was low enough in one cell that the top of the plates were exposed. Topped it off, charged it, and 5-8 minutes into driving it the battery light starts flashing. I check the voltage on all 6 and they read in 8.XX except for the one that had low water. It was 6.XX. Is it safe to assume the problem is that one battery being bad?
I'm far from an expert on all things battery, but would certainly suspect that battery to be bad. That being said the general consensus is that batteries should be replaced as a pack rather than singly. Since I agree completely with that theory, haven't always followed it completely, but have always ended up there anyhow. I would take the time to charge the pack several times and see if that battery recovers at all before deciding your next step.

You may find that even with four, possibly five, year old batteries you are on borrowed time especially if they haven't been well maintained.
hipower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

What is 8.XX volts? You're only dealing with .4 volts between fully charged and in dire need of a recharge.... With that being said at least one of your 4 year old batteries is DOA and the others may be there too....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOC%20new.jpg (84.9 KB, 0 views)
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #4
Hittman347
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
What is 8.XX volts? You're only dealing with .4 volts between fully charged and in dire need of a recharge.... With that being said at least one of your 4 year old batteries is DOA and the others may be there too....
I couldn't remember the exact numbers the next day once I got on here while at work. I simply wanted to point out that I had one that wasn't an 8 at all. Either way, I went to a local cart shop and picked up one of the exact same battery and the problem went away.
Hittman347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #5
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

One bad cell in one battery will kill it.
I would get a cheap hydrometer from the auto parts store and check the cells in the other batteries.
Don't get the the floating ball type, get the one with the glass float to read the specific gravity of the cell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hydrometer.jpg (3.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg battery-state-of-charge.jpg (56.9 KB, 0 views)
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #6
swm63
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman347 View Post
I couldn't remember the exact numbers the next day once I got on here while at work. I simply wanted to point out that I had one that wasn't an 8 at all. Either way, I went to a local cart shop and picked up one of the exact same battery and the problem went away.
That one new battery will soon be as worn as the other 'good' old ones, but should buy you a little more time to save up for a new pack.
swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car