lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2017, 04:40 PM   #1
AZ.
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Logical upgrades?

Newbie here!

Just added a 6" lift and 23" tires, to a 97 ez-go 36volt....

In time, I want to upgrade to 48v.. without doing or buying anything twice?

What mods can be done to existing cart?

Existing batteries in good shape, everything else bone stock...

Can I just add motor that is dual voltage, then when I'm ready upgrade everything else?

Sorry for the basic questions....reading for days causes more confusion for me!
AZ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Logical upgrades?

First thing to do is replace all the high current 6g OEM cables with 4g/2g welding cable. Do the motor/controller cables too, all of them. Next, upgrade your F/R switch to a HD unit if the cart is Series drivetrain. Then install a high amp controller that is happy on both 36v and 48v. Also install a HD solenoid that is dual voltage compatible. Now your cart is beefed up for those bigger tires, AND, ready for the future 48v upgrade. Leave the 36v motor in the cart, it will wake right up on 48v.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

AZ, first off tell us exactly what kind of cart do you have....what drive system (series or DCS/PDS (sepex) Drive). How do you use your cart? ON ROAD, OFF-ROAD? a little of both? or primarily on the street/dirt roads. and what do you want or expect to do with it.

oh btw......Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wives’, husbands, girlfriend’s and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:30 AM   #4
AZ.
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
AZ, first off tell us exactly what kind of cart do you have....what drive system (series or DCS/PDS (sepex) Drive). How do you use your cart? ON ROAD, OFF-ROAD? a little of both? or primarily on the street/dirt roads. and what do you want or expect to do with it.

oh btw......Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wives’, husbands, girlfriend’s and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Thanks for the welcome.....The cart will be used off-road 99% of the time.....Lots of steep hills and loose sand.....And used to go to mail box which is a gravel road.....I hope to have a strong low end, and will not plan on much top end (max 20mph?).......
I want to use my cart like a small pickup around my property.....

Again thanks for the welcome and the good questions to answer!
AZ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:06 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ. View Post
Thanks for the welcome.....The cart will be used off-road 99% of the time.....Lots of steep hills and loose sand.....And used to go to mail box which is a gravel road.....I hope to have a strong low end, and will not plan on much top end (max 20mph?).......
I want to use my cart like a small pickup around my property.....

Again thanks for the welcome and the good questions to answer!
along with what gornoman said.....and knowing how your cart will be used. I would highly recommend to upgrade to a 500 amp controller, 400 amp solenoid, 2 ga. cables (all of them). You didn't say if your cart was a Series drive or a PDS/DCS, but if its a Series drive cart a HD F&R switch.

NOW, if you have a series cart....even with all of these upgrades...won't be any faster, a jump to 48v or high torque or speed motor would be required. HOWEVER, by doing those upgrades allows the cart to use the available power within your batteries.

AND when its time for you to buy your upgrades....I would highly suggest you go to cartsunlimited.net (scottyb he is one of the sponsors on this site) where you can get the best deals in town AND the best customer service there is.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:36 AM   #6
noxin
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
NOW, if you have a series cart....even with all of these upgrades...won't be any faster, a jump to 48v or high torque or speed motor would be required. HOWEVER, by doing those upgrades allows the cart to use the available power within your batteries.
I know this is one of the first warnings given to series cart owners -- you won't gain speed unless you add voltage or change motor type -- but does a change in controller amperage along with increased tire size give a speed increase? Since just a tire size increase usually decreases torque, does the improved controller draw offset that?

I'm still in the planning stage of how to upgrade in the future and live in a neighborhood with a few steep hills. Though I'd probably be happy with just not dropping to a crawl when travelling up them...
noxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:02 AM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxin View Post
I know this is one of the first warnings given to series cart owners -- you won't gain speed unless you add voltage or change motor type -- but does a change in controller amperage along with increased tire size give a speed increase? Since just a tire size increase usually decreases torque, does the improved controller draw offset that?

I'm still in the planning stage of how to upgrade in the future and live in a neighborhood with a few steep hills. Though I'd probably be happy with just not dropping to a crawl when travelling up them...
it helps but it won't offset it.....the to things to totally offset it would be to go to 48v and or a high torque motor.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:06 AM   #8
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

i might be technically wrong-but voltage gives you speed and amps give you torque?is that correct?

if he has a series cart i would reccommend a hi torque motor as well as 48v and all the goodies....might consider a contacter set up if he wants the convenience of toggling F/R
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:08 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Here is some easy reading that explains the how and whats of upgrading these carts. http://www.cartsunlimited.net/upgrade-suggestions.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:16 AM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Here is some easy reading that explains the how and whats of upgrading these carts. http://www.cartsunlimited.net/upgrade-suggestions.html
Thanks Scotty....I forgot you had that section on your site or I would have linked it already.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO